Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

is CF repairable

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Default is CF repairable

I picked up a CF evo hood for the G. The hood has some damage. It went up on the previous owner, cause he didn't lock the hood pins. The price was right though. It has the usual cracks around the hoodpins, not really gonna worry about those, but up at the other end of the hood by the windsheild is my concern. the passenger side has like a chunk of CF missing and the driver's side has some scratches. Is it possible to repair the damage?
or plan 2 have it fixed up and paint it the color of my car.
any feedback will be greatly appreciated. below are pics of the hood

Old 03-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Default RE: is CF repairable

umm.. its a nice looking hood....i honestly dont think CF is repairable....umm and i also this is in the wrong place maybe? anyways yea the only way i can see it being repaired is havnig the top coating taken off and refibered.. and that is kinda rare to have done...so honestly although i love the look of CF i would just paint it.... sorry if that didnt help..i did my best..

Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 AM

thanks for your help. so far I have found out that the finish can be repaired but takes some time and patience, which I don't have either at moment lol. so I am leaving myself with 3 options right now.
A) find someone that can repair it
B) paint the whole hood silver to match my car, I have seen it done and looks pretty good
C) paint the sides and the lower part of the hood. I have seen this done too in a few different ways

Old 03-04-2006, 09:40 AM

I looks like onlt cealr coat damage. that car be resprayed I think

Old 03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

You CAN repair CF but it's a pain in the ding ding. I think you should tape off an area of the hood (Like from the scoop edges to the back following the lines) and paint the rest to match your car. I've seen silver cars with CF hoods and they look really good (Wich is a DAMN big compliment cuz I HATE CF myself along with chrome). Like I said tape off the scoop and then follow the scoop lines out and it'll look hot I'm sure. Just make sure to get it cleaned up first and wet sanded and whatnot before painting. Want to hide/fix those cracks and chips

Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Painting it is probably the best idea. But u can't not like CF. It's lighter than stock hoods which can make u faster because every 100lbs u loose is a 1/10 of a sec off ur 1/4 mile. And CF is really strong.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 PM

i want to get a full CF kit for my car and just paint the CF.... (hood trunk body kit fenders) i would lose soo much weight :-)

Old 03-04-2006, 10:40 PM

thanks for all the responses. I am thinking I might just have the sides of the hood where the damage is located painted to match my car thus leaving the center CF. I have seen it on another galant and it look damned good

Old 03-04-2006, 11:00 PM

well post some pictures when you get it done..and glad i could almost help :-)

Old 03-05-2006, 12:16 AM

whatcha guys think of this. I am waiting on some headon pics. This is how a friend of Mines galant used to look he is a a member on here also

Quick Reply: is CF repairable