Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

looking for a new car

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008 | 12:08 PM
Default looking for a new car

i have been looking for a new car as some of you know and i am looking at a few mr2s and i was just wondering how well they take to mods. and for a beginner mechanic if they are easy to work on? i have seen a few turbo models and they look nice. just wanting to see your opinions. and im pretty much looking for a turbod dd thats easy to mod and low maintenance. if you guys have any cars like that you would suggest i can look at that would be cool too. looking forward to hearing from ya

Old 01-22-2008 | 12:18 PM
Default RE: looking for a new car

can't say that i know a whole lot about them. i don't car for many stock (except one model) but just about all the mod'd ones i've seen i like. i know the engine bay is tiny and can be hard to work on. and i would have to think that unless you vented it some more that heat would be a problem in such a small bay. ask TE he'll know.

Old 01-22-2008 | 05:57 PM

TheEngineer is the man to talk to on MR2's. John could tell ya all about 'em

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:05 PM

I can tell you right now. They dont take to well to mods and they are AWFUL to work on lol. They are def. not a car that is easy to make really fast. but for a street car you can have some fun, as they are fun to drive and can be quick. however after I saw how they responded to mods I stopped considering buying one myself. Im sure not to many people knew I was at one time considering trading the Evo for an MR2 plus alot of cash lol

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:17 PM
Rob
Banned

+1 on not easy to mod.

Old 01-23-2008 | 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yea they are really a fun car to drive. And like dsm's they are easy for the quick mods like the exhaust (alittle more expensive on that however) and MBC and guage, yada yada. And just like dsm it is really easy to get near the 280hp area but you start trying to do more than that in the 300+ range and it becomes an issue of having to upgrading a good ammount of stuff.

They are a PITA to work on though. Heat really isnt too much of an issue. But for an example i had to replace my alternator and it took me over 2 hours to do. I cant imagine what my next task is gonna take with my turbo upgrade. Also there are a few quirks with them such as some coolant lines that like to fail. But you get stuff like with any 20 year old car. To me its worth having for thelowcost of the car and that you rarely see them.

Old 01-23-2008 | 08:53 AM

Its not worth it if your on a budget and want to make it fast though. also as someonelearning to work on cars it is def not a good start. If something needs to be replaced other than an air filter it will suck

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: atown420

i have been looking for a new car as some of you know and i am looking at a few mr2s and i was just wondering how well they take to mods. and for a beginner mechanic if they are easy to work on? i have seen a few turbo models and they look nice. just wanting to see your opinions. and im pretty much looking for a turbod dd thats easy to mod and low maintenance. if you guys have any cars like that you would suggest i can look at that would be cool too. looking forward to hearing from ya
mr2 is cool, my little brother has a 91 turbo. I installed the intake and did most wiring for turbo timer, gauges and all. lol. the car is reliable and fun to drive. The car has intake, exhaust. EBC, and it gets up in low end and top end. i like it.

Old 01-23-2008 | 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Yea they are really a fun car to drive. And like dsm's they are easy for the quick mods like the exhaust (alittle more expensive on that however) and MBC and guage, yada yada. And just like dsm it is really easy to get near the 280hp area but you start trying to do more than that in the 300+ range and it becomes an issue of having to upgrading a good ammount of stuff.

They are a PITA to work on though. Heat really isnt too much of an issue. But for an example i had to replace my alternator and it took me over 2 hours to do. I cant imagine what my next task is gonna take with my turbo upgrade. Also there are a few quirks with them such as some coolant lines that like to fail. But you get stuff like with any 20 year old car. To me its worth having for thelowcost of the car and that you rarely see them.
the Deadly Coolant lines lol, We have a lot of them in our Area, When I told my brother to get one, I didnt realize how many Norcal had ahaha.

Old 01-23-2008 | 11:35 AM

well thanks to all i thought it might be hard to work on. any other ideas on cars easy to work on and turbo? fun for a dd?

Quick Reply: looking for a new car