Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

new mustang motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Default RE: new mustang motor?

I'm a Ford employee..this is the first I've heard this concept..Right now the optional5.4L Triton V-8 in the F-150 produces like 310 HP and can tow 11,000 pounds with no turbo. I just wonder how having this turbo setup will affect it. They can't get the turbo right in the Powerstroke diesel motor..Keeps blowing turbos...The dual turbo setup in the new 6.4L diesel has been a flop so far as it keeps blowing turbos as well...so why would we go and introduce a turbo setup on the best selling truck for 31 straight years now, the F-150, and jeopardize the future when they couldn't get the turbos right on the diesels since the 7.3L???? What are you thinking Ford??? I hope it doesn't go through for the trucks.

I can see them maybe putting it into the Mustang or even the Edgebut the mustang is already running the 4.6L V-8 in the GT's which is putting out 300 HPand the supercharged 5.4L in the Shelby GT 500 so whywould it be neededin a Stang??? Unless they are phasing out the 4.6L.I think it would really be cool in the Edge which is now running a 3.5L V-6 that produces 263 HP...So match the new twin turbo V-6 up to the AWD system of the Edge and that would be a pretty mean machine...I swear Ford is retarded sometimes with some of the goofy concepts they come up with.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 PM

The main focus of this thread was for the mustangs... but since we are on the subject here is the mags' input:
"After making big news of how it can replace V-8s with V-6s and V-6s with fours by adding twin turbocharging and direct gas-injection, Ford announces it would offer and EcoBoost V-6 in it's moneymaking F-150 by 2010."
I think it will be offered as an option but it does not say that they will discontinue the V-8 period.
And come on shreff. . . of course they won't replace their diesel engines with a lil V-6... come on man lol.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Not what I meant about the diesels Ron...I meant that Ford hasn't had a decentTURBO setup on a diesel since the 7.3L..I meant that they have had TURBO problems since they did away with that motor and kept trying out new stuff like the 6.0L single and now a 6.4L with the dual turbo setup...And yet they want to introduce more turbos when they can't get the ones they have now to work with their motors?? I don't know what they are doing that the turbos don't work on Ford motors..I see dump trucks and commercial trucks in our Service Dept. all of the time and I even b.s. with our certified diesel mechanic (yes we have a guy who works strictly on diesels most of the time) while he's working on one and look down into the engine bay of the truck and see that a lot of them are Garrett turbos which puzzles me cuz I thought Garret turbos were decent..I can't figure it out.

Ithink the new V-6 will be pretty cool in the Edge though... I haven't heard about this new V-6 yet but I heard that Ford may produce a 4.4L diesel for the F-150's.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:14 PM

GTDI is relatively new technology. It seems that many domestic manufactures have a hard time breaking new ground. No one knows for sure if these new engines will truly be as efficient as they are on "paper." Kinda along the same lines as Shreff pointed out...when was the last time Ford made a domestic gasoline powered vehicle available with a turbo? The mid eighties...
I'm all for change and with the impending CAFE regulations, they will have to do something, other than what they are doing now. I just hope they do their homework, unlike GM in the early 80's with thier diesel engine debacle.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:16 PM

i think v-8's are cool but are a bit overrated... i like the idea of make as much or more power from a smaller more efficient set-up, and the market is constantly changing for cars. Look at what it was 15-20 years ago strictly marketing trucks and high horsepower car, now it's mainly focussed on gas mileage and emissions and quieter rides... i think in order to stay ahead of the game as a car company you need to try new things. Now that doesnt mean i think they should do away with the old v-8s. Like ron said i think it'd be a good idea if they used the tt6cyl as an option, i think it'd sell more than we think

Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM

How much more fuel efficient can a twin turbo V-6 really be over a V-8 though??? Probably not all that much. Ford has been concentrating on quality, reliability, dependability,and safety in the last few years rather than on the fuel economy. I agree as using that motor as an option if you want a street machine but not having it in a "work" truck or heavier towing.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM

What are you talking about dude? 20 years ago, there were no high powered cars. 15 years ago, cars (mostly foreign) were just eclipsing the 300hp mark. The Viper was the only domestic to make more than that. The real HP war has only been going on the last 5 years. It will soon die out, similar to the death of the muscle car days of yore. We are living in great times my friends. You should enjoy them now, cause in a few years, they will be gone (as we know them anyway).

As far as small efficient packages...the LSx series of engines is about as small (size and weight) and efficient (25+ in a vette)...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: shreff99
How much more fuel efficient can a twin turbo V-6 really be over a V-8 though??? Probably not all that much. Ford has been concentrating on quality, reliability, dependability,and safety in the last few years rather than on the fuel economy. I agree as using that motor as an option if you want a street machine but not having it in a "work" truck or heavier towing.
just because an engine has a turbo (or obviously 2 in this case) doesn't mean that it used a whole bunch of Gas. adding a turbo to a regular engine will actually increase the gas mileage as long as you are not in boost.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

adding a turbo to a regular engine will actually increase the gas mileage as long as you are not in boost.
How do you figure that? A turbo that isn't spooling is just a restriction...

Who would have a turbo car, but not get into boooost...what would be the point.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM

i didnt mean that this new car would be fuel efficient, i was just making the observation that the marketting and types of vehicles and the demands of different vehicles now is very different than it was 20 years ago... and that a change could be a good thing

Quick Reply: new mustang motor?