Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

York Mitsu PA Nightmare!!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Default York Mitsu PA Nightmare!!

Sorry if this isnt in the right spot, i could find a good guys bad guys section and I dont want anyone else to have to go through this!

My wife and I worked out a deal with these guys for a trade of a 09 Lancer for a 2010 Outlander GT almost 2 weeks in advance. Chad Tanner their internet sales manager was asked multiple times about the condition of the vehicle and he informed us it was in perfect shape and that it was a dealer exhibition car and they take “really good care of those”. After driving from NC to York, PA we arrived to find the car in less than perfect shape. The outside had several spots of touch up paint, a dent in the drivers side door along with scratches around the dents and all over the chrome accents. Once inside the car we were shocked to find deep gouges all over the interior. It looked like they pisses off a tiger and threw it in trunk. When confronted with our complaints Mr Tanner smiled and said “Its a pre owned car”. I demanded to see the manager and Chad went to go find him. I waited for over 10 minutes and my wife and I walked out in a rage! After about ½ an hour I called Chad and demanded $300 to reimburse us for our gas and my wife taking off work. Chad said there was nothing he could do and said he was sorry I felt this way and that he thought the car was fine. I again demanded to talk to the manager who was conveniently “at the dentist”. My wife and I returned to the dealer to make sure the manager was at the dentist and after waiting another 20 minutes chad walks out with his gold chain and matching yellow teeth. After further demanding $300 Chad relented and says “Ill send you a certified check for $300”. As he walked away I could hear him say, “that little **** doesn't deserve that car anyway”. Unfortunately he ran back into the dealership before he could be confronted .Then my wife and I completely enraged and border line stroking out had to drive all the way back to NC another 10 hours with traffic.
This morning I called the general manager of York Mitsubishi Donald Meluzio who promised to check the vehicle out and look into the problem further. I just received a call back from him where he defended chad and said I was being to picky. He started talking about a deposit for holding the car, that we never paid, and I'm glad we didn't. For about 5 minutes I was given every excuse under the sun and I was made out to be the bad guy for not paying a deposit that was never required, which by the way had nothing to do with this entire situation. I informed him that I wanted the $300 promised and he claimed he never authorized it and wouldn't pay up. So hear I am for filling my promise to let everyone I possibly can, know what happened here.
I have or have owned 4 Mitsubishi's over the past decade and plan on buying more in the future. I have experience with dozens of dealerships across this country for various reasons. I have always been treated fairly and with some level of respect. Most of my issues with dealers have been service issue's. Never have I been out right bold faced lied to like this. This is the most two faced dealer I have ever come across. If you have a good looking girlfriend or wife make sure and cover her up before bringing her in there because every sales reps eyes were fixed on her my wife's **** and ***. You cannot believe a word that comes out of their mouth and I am glad didn't buy this car because who knows what it had been through looking the way it did with only 13000 miles. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Last edited by twinspoolin94; 02-21-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

As much as it sucks that you made that trip to see a car that wasn't worth it, you also have to bear in mind that you got NOTHING about the reimbursement check in writing AND quite frankly since it was YOUR choice to go see the car to attempt to make a purchase, you assume all risks and costs for travel.

I don't mean to sound like an ******* but it's just a fact that the dealership isn't responsible for travel expenses. If you had bought the car and found it was a lemon then that's a different story and you'd have to look into local laws for that. Next time have it transported to a local dealership. I know there are dealers here where I live that will go out of their way to find the car you're looking for and get it shipped to the dealership near you.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sanguinius
As much as it sucks that you made that trip to see a car that wasn't worth it, you also have to bear in mind that you got NOTHING about the reimbursement check in writing AND quite frankly since it was YOUR choice to go see the car to attempt to make a purchase, you assume all risks and costs for travel.

I don't mean to sound like an ******* but it's just a fact that the dealership isn't responsible for travel expenses. If you had bought the car and found it was a lemon then that's a different story and you'd have to look into local laws for that. Next time have it transported to a local dealership. I know there are dealers here where I live that will go out of their way to find the car you're looking for and get it shipped to the dealership near you.

Thats what we are planning on doing next time, it sucks because we were dealing with an authorized Mitsubishi dealership, shown pics, and had every assurance that it was tip top. Like I said, been doing this a long time and never had anything like this happen esp w/ the planning we put into it. Lesson learned I guess

About the money, I never expected a dime....I just want to give them as much **** as possible. I think given the circumstances and the gap inbetween the promises and the condition of the car, its the right thing to do...but im realistic and know that it will never happen.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, dealerships have been some of the hardest hit businesses in this depression (yes I know we aren't calling the elephant in the living room and elephant these day but I calls 'em hows I sees 'em). They are out to survive and it's cutthroat right now. Definitely go with a local option next time unless the car is SO rare that you can't locate one but absolutely HAVE to have one. At that point in time, it likely won't matter what the travel cost or shape of the vehicle is anyways as you'll just be happy to FIND one you can semi afford.

Essentially, chalk it up to experience and learn from mistakes. Remember ANY digital picture can be doctored. I did it in school. Made a picture of some older dude with liverspots and everything look like he was the picture of health and probably about 20 years younger. Remember, small things won't show in a picture either. The rock chips, just slightly off color paint touch ups, interior dings and minor tears, etc. A pic can tell alot but not nearly as much as a first person looksie. Get it delivered next time and have a good look before spending a ton on it.

On the other hand, I hope you had a fun road trip. I mean even if the end result was a bust doesn't mean you can't have fun on the way there and back. I drove a '72 Super Beetle from Virginia to northern Ohio once. A normally 9-10 hour drive took over 18 but I had a ball the entire way up, the time I was there, and on the way back. (GOD I LOVE MY BUG)

Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sanguinius
Unfortunately, dealerships have been some of the hardest hit businesses in this depression (yes I know we aren't calling the elephant in the living room and elephant these day but I calls 'em hows I sees 'em). They are out to survive and it's cutthroat right now. Definitely go with a local option next time unless the car is SO rare that you can't locate one but absolutely HAVE to have one. At that point in time, it likely won't matter what the travel cost or shape of the vehicle is anyways as you'll just be happy to FIND one you can semi afford.

Essentially, chalk it up to experience and learn from mistakes. Remember ANY digital picture can be doctored. I did it in school. Made a picture of some older dude with liverspots and everything look like he was the picture of health and probably about 20 years younger. Remember, small things won't show in a picture either. The rock chips, just slightly off color paint touch ups, interior dings and minor tears, etc. A pic can tell alot but not nearly as much as a first person looksie. Get it delivered next time and have a good look before spending a ton on it.

On the other hand, I hope you had a fun road trip. I mean even if the end result was a bust doesn't mean you can't have fun on the way there and back. I drove a '72 Super Beetle from Virginia to northern Ohio once. A normally 9-10 hour drive took over 18 but I had a ball the entire way up, the time I was there, and on the way back. (GOD I LOVE MY BUG)

Yeah I wish we would have checked the area out, because we went through gettysberg and the Harley Manufacturing plant but by the time we left the lot we were so pissed off we just wanted to get home. It all worked out for the best, she just bought a 2011 endeavor SE and got it for under 30 with her trade. I wish the outlander would have worked out but she just got a superior model for just 3 grand more than the asking price on that used outlander!