Over Heating Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Default Over Heating Challenger

I have a Challenger 4WD and have had it for around 12 months. Since i have had it, evertime you climb a hill on the open road the temp always goes close to maximum and this is with out towing anything and since we now have a trailor i am worried that we may blow the motor if we cant deal with it.

It has been recently serviced from top top to bottom including the timiong kit, new radiator, water pump, seals and timing tensioner. I have been given a oil cooler for the gear box but i dont know if this will take care of the over heating on the engine side.

Has anyone had a simular problem that can help? i am open to sugestions.

James

Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by kidashley25
It seems too short a time for the coolant to truly get hot enough to overheat. you may have a blown head gasket which is blowing gasses into the coolant system, which gives the violent torbulence in the cooling system. This will push out coolant under xs pressure as a normally overheating scenario. Standing still while idling should cause the same effect. and also

Check or replace water pump, thermostat and gaskets, and revise radiator's hoses and make sure radiator fan are working while overheat.

Kidashley thanks for your reply,

I have had my mechanic go over the whole engine about 2 months ago when i spent a heap on it and he found nothing abnormal regarding the head gasket, i did try running the car on idle for about an hour as i had a simular thought but the heat gauge stayed at the prefered spot (middle), i had the water pump changed in the service along with a new timing kit, radiator in the first service about 9 months ago and when i had the top to bottom service done he did the timing kit again along with all seals and a new timing belt/ chain tensioner as it was pretty much gone.

My father inlaw believes this type of motor is common in over heating and has given me an oil cooler for the gear box to see if that helps and i am waiting to put it in, he also mentioned that if the timing is out this could cause the engine to heat up above normal but it only happens on climbing hills on the free way when doing good speed, it didnt budge above half way 2 weeks ago when we did some serious 4WD which i thought it would.

The only thing i can think of is maybe trying to put my hands on a larger radiator an see if that helps, i have asked my mechanic if a thermo fan in addition would help and he seems to think so as the current fixed fan controled buy the motor is working fine and does not think it will make a difference.

I am at a bit of a loss as i have never had this problem before in any car i have owned, it can be the hottest day in summer in traffic with the air con on and she runs at the right temp.

its starting to empty my pocket, i bought it for $10k, and have spent $2900 on the gear box, $2300 on the engine and $1500 on tyres but once i fix this problem i think its money well spent if i can get another 5-10 years enjoyment out of it.

What do you think about a larger radiator and a thermo fan?

Cheers,

James

Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Default Over heating

I had a similar problem with mine, turned out to be the sender unit was faulty.Had it replaced no more problems.

QUOTE=Jamesnward;264523]Kidashley thanks for your reply,

I have had my mechanic go over the whole engine about 2 months ago when i spent a heap on it and he found nothing abnormal regarding the head gasket, i did try running the car on idle for about an hour as i had a simular thought but the heat gauge stayed at the prefered spot (middle), i had the water pump changed in the service along with a new timing kit, radiator in the first service about 9 months ago and when i had the top to bottom service done he did the timing kit again along with all seals and a new timing belt/ chain tensioner as it was pretty much gone.

My father inlaw believes this type of motor is common in over heating and has given me an oil cooler for the gear box to see if that helps and i am waiting to put it in, he also mentioned that if the timing is out this could cause the engine to heat up above normal but it only happens on climbing hills on the free way when doing good speed, it didnt budge above half way 2 weeks ago when we did some serious 4WD which i thought it would.

The only thing i can think of is maybe trying to put my hands on a larger radiator an see if that helps, i have asked my mechanic if a thermo fan in addition would help and he seems to think so as the current fixed fan controled buy the motor is working fine and does not think it will make a difference.

I am at a bit of a loss as i have never had this problem before in any car i have owned, it can be the hottest day in summer in traffic with the air con on and she runs at the right temp.

its starting to empty my pocket, i bought it for $10k, and have spent $2900 on the gear box, $2300 on the engine and $1500 on tyres but once i fix this problem i think its money well spent if i can get another 5-10 years enjoyment out of it.

What do you think about a larger radiator and a thermo fan?

Cheers,

James[/QUOTE]