PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

1992 1.5 Mitsubishi Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Default 1992 1.5 Mitsubishi Electrical Issues

Hi, first post here, but in need of some help, have a 1992 Eagle summit, it's the 1.5l Mitsu engine

Car was running fine until I left it in the sun over the summer, seemed to melt the ECU, so caused a no-start re no power to fuel pump. Drove it for a while with a hotwired fuel pump connection, nice check engine light for months, then changed to a grounded control relay connection which made it so I didn't need to turn on/off fuel when driving.

problems starting coming on soon after I changed cap wires rotor and put in some crazy bosch quad plugs that were given to me. I changed back to the autolites that are rec for this engine.

Had a slight miss on the highway a few weeks back, then problem became progressively worse, ECU seemed to shut off mid-street, then often a crank/no-start condition. I could hear the fuel pump running and cycling through the return line. Then it would finally cut back on, and I'd limp it to my destination.

This past week, decided to replace the ECU which I found the capacitors to be totally leaking (not to mention a poor soldering job as the car already had a rebuilt ECU previous owner. This fixed the fuel pump problem, so I didn't need to ground the control relay.

Still had the stalling out/cut out problems though, and found that moving the wires going into the distributor harness would click the ECU on/off (or at least would click click and make the idle servo click click.

Did a pretty pro solder/glue rebuild of the harness and car drove fine until TODAY, which I had planned to drive it 300 miles, cut out in the first 3 miles! tried shaking my distributor wires and no clicks, car finally decided to turn on, and I limped it home again.

I've ordered a new distributor as a last try, maybe there's a bad photo-diode in there, also plan on doing away with the control relay and replace it with a few radioshack parts.

WHAT ELSE, need some mitsu help here