PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

1996 Eclipse GS engine dies

Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Default 1996 Eclipse GS engine dies

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Auto 2.0

I just got my car back after a year and a half in the body shop. I think those guys fried my PCM. My car will start and will run for about 15 minutes and then turn off. I tested and measured the impedence of the coil and it checks good. Now, when I compare the readings on the harness when it runs and when it doesn't, I find that I do not see me pulses on cylinders 1 and 4. To verify my findings I attach a spark plug to each ignition cable individually and sure enough 1 and 4 do not fire. The engine schematics show that the harness is directly coming from the PCM. The strange thing is that after about 15 minutes with everything off the engine will fire right back up with no problems. Then 15 minutes later it dies.

I need help with the following questions:
1. My manual shows that the PCM is located in the engine bay next to the fuse box for 1996 turbo models. It shows that the ECM is located under the dash behind the center console. Well I have both pictured items so what is what?

2. Does my problem sound typical of a bad computer? Running the check engine diagnostics I get the following codes. 11, 12, 43, 53.

3. Can anyone offer any more help in troubleshooting that I may have missed?

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Default RE: 1996 Eclipse GS engine dies

I just purchased a 95 eclipse rs and it would randomly die then one day it wouldn't start back up. No power to the fuel pump and no spark at the spark plugs. I researched it and decided to replace my computer (ecm,ecu, pcm, or whatever u want to call it) because i discovered it is a common problem. Well i replaced it and it started right up, but i must have a wiring issue because i only got a mile down the road and it died again. Auto computer exchange offers remanufactured pcms with 1 year warranty, I payed $279.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:00 AM

Pull out the ecu and check for anything abnormal and smells.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 AM

code 11- Generator field not switching properly, cause, Harness and connector / Alternator
code 12-direct power input to the PCM has been disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles
code 43- Ignition coil #1 primary circuit, cause, Harness and connector / Ignition coil #1
code 55 is end of messages

The way these code work is that if you only have codes 12 and 55 (common codes when doing the key dance) that if their is only one code that the cause is most likley goin to be the problem, where when their is a mix of codes, like in your case, it could be one things that could be causing both codes. Now the ecu controls both of the functions listed. Is it an auto? Early year autos are known for the ecu's getting hot and cooking them selves inside out. Before you drop a couple bucks on an ecu try finding someone local who has the same car. 95,96,97,98-99 all have different ecu pinouts, so it has to be the same year and same drive type(auto/5spd). You may be able to get away with using a avenger ecu of the same year, which also shares the 420a in base modles.

BTW your ecu is under the hood the manuals slipped a diget and screwed up. its right behind your fuse box, its got two huge gray connectors that feed into the right side of it(if you standing in front of the car).

Old 06-26-2006, 11:31 PM

i couldn't get the key dance to work, but after turning over my car so much i decided to charge the battery. the battery charger has an internal circuit breaker that shuts off when positive and negative cables are connected. my car has a short that is causing that breaker to trip. any ideas were to start looking?