PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Fuel Cut Defender

Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Default Fuel Cut Defender

I have developed a problem with my beloved EVOVI RSII which i have lavished time and money on over the years and want advice from anyone out there who knows.On hard driving,especially accelerating ,all of a sudden i will get a massive jolt as the car comes off boost then back on when the pressure drops.Now i thought this was an over boost problem and that the jolt was the actuator activating,hence tomorrow i am having a manual boost control valve fitted along with boost and air/fuel mixture gauges.However talking to a man who knows a thing or two today,he tells me that because of all the modifications i've done over the years,as i have not had the ecu. remapped or upgraded;the problem is in fact FUEL CUT i.e. the boost is higher than the max. level set in the ecu. and therefore it is cutting off the fuel for a split second ,as a safety measure ,untill the boost pressure drops.Now he sais there are three ways around the problem.1.Have the ecu. remapped 2.Buy an uprated Ralliart ecu.3.Buy and install a Fuel Cut Defender.Now my family call this car my baby cos i pamper it so much(SAD I KNOW).But i don't want to do anything which might damage it.However money is a bit tight at the moment and the cheaper option is the Fuel Cut Defender.I can get one made by H.K.S.who supply good gear in general for EVO'S, but does anybody out there know a reason why it is deffinately not a good idea to get one of these.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel Cut Defender

if you are having problems with fuel cut then it is because you are maxing out your fuel system from running too much boost and you mods exceed what your injectors/pump can handle. I would say once you get that MBC installed with the guage, turn the boost down and see if that gets rid of your problems. Then go from there.