Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

To cut or not to cut?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Default To cut or not to cut?

I have an 05 Eclipse GT, manual. I just installed a cold air intake last week. I noticed thatthere was bogging when I hit the accelerator, so I disconnected the vacuum line to the fuel regulator, and now have no problems.

My next quest is the exhaust. I didn't realize that there were two catalyic converters on both sides of the engine.... I did notice that there are 3-4 resonators from the flex pipe to the muffler. I want to cut this section away, and add just a straight pipe from the flex pipe to the muffler, leaving the muffler stock.

Will there be any problems with the car if I do this? Will I need to buy a new muffler to handle the new exhaust output? Someone told me that the car needs a certain amount of back pressure, I know this is needed on hot rods, but on an import? Wouldn't the two catalyic convertors create a sufficient amount of back pressure? Last question, in doing this mod, will it pass smog?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Default RE: To cut or not to cut?

It wont pass NY inspection... I dont know about where you live tho... But yes, to my understanding these cars DO need a bit of back pressure... Im fairly certain almost any engine does.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 PM

In an instances, a car, to run healthy needs back pressure. regardless if it's an import, or domestic hotrod. As for the exhaust being cut and just left with two cats, it's not too enviromentally friendly, but yes it will give you enough back pressure with out jeoperdising power. It doubt it will pass emission in any state, other then florida, because there are no emissions here.

Good luck

Gus

Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse

It wont pass NY inspection...
CURSE NY INSPECTION!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:33 PM

yes inspectios suck... but i wouldn't know. SC doesn't have them my friend did the exact thing you are talking about doing on his v6 mazda6. it sounds beautiful, not to loud but makes it's point and gave him 7whp on our mustang dyno. (2.5" piping) no need to go any larger than that on an NA car under 250whp.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 AM

Sweet thanx. I am thinking of moving to SC anywyas. My mother lives there.

I will do the cut then. I know it might not pass Cali, smog, but ur right SC has no smog inspection.

Thanx guys for the feedback.