PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

No power getting to the fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Default No power getting to the fuel pump

[hr]

This is for a 96 Galant, but identical to 2g Eclipse/Talons.

Here is the scoop:

Started the car up on2 weekendsagoand let it warm up and in about 2 mins the motor just shut off completely..but still had power to everything like normal. Tried and tried to turn the car back on..but the motor will just crank, but won't turn over. Checked a few things and started to diagnose.

Checked for spark...I got spark.
Checked timing and inspected belts thinking of the worse....Timing marks are spot on, tension is perfect, and belts are fine.
*When I checked for timing...I removed the timing cover and checked if all the timing marks aligned and they are dead spot on*

Checked for fuel..no fuel, should of realized it as I didn't hear the "whine" of the pump come up on the On position. Did the fuel pump test from the jump wire on the firewall and the fuel pump kicked on. Just to make sure I removed the hose feed to the fuel rail and did the fuel pump test and sure enough the pump is doing its job.[/align][/align]I was told the fuel pump relay on the 96 Galant was located behind a panel where my knee would rest while driving. Removed the panel and located the relay and was told it would be 2 relays sharing 1 bracket and that is what I found. I suck a diagnosing electrical..so I just went to a salvage yard and removed 2 more relays from 96-98 Galants and tried them and still not getting power to the pump.[/align][/align]I am not sure what to look for or do from here, as I haven't had no luck at all finding why there is no power getting to the fuel pump. Not sure if I am looking in the right places..but any direction would be great right about now.[/align]

BTW: No fuel pump rewire has been done to the car.[/align]

Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Default RE: No power getting to the fuel pump

Tryrunning a wire from your fuse box and onto the fuelpump hot (Should have pump running constantly like this). Crank the car then and see if it fires up. If it does, and your relays are good. Then you have a faulty wire somewhere

Old 09-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: No power getting to the fuel pump

Sounds like you have a broken wire from the mpi relay to where the fp test connector splice together. You might be better off doing the f/p rewire.