Sights N Sounds Post all of your video and sound clips here.

Evo thick smoke, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Default RE: Evo thick smoke, please help

well depending on what the smoke smells/looks like it could be one of the many things. The most obvious case right now would be a bad o2 sensor. Look down at the exhaust and check if it's connected. If it is connected make sure it's working properly. When an 02 sensor goes bad it forces a car to run about 4 times richer, and automatically throughs a check engine light.
Another option could be your cylinder rings are worn, and oil is being picked up from the slump and pushed into the combustion chamber. When the oil burns, it burns white and smells funny.

A boost leak can also be the problem, although rare.

Go for the basics first, and try to get pictures of the exhuast as you rev it. it'll help us diagnose the problem more effectively. Much luck.

Gus

Old 03-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

No way that is from the rings. Its not blue.. it just dosent look like it.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: ComposeEvo

well depending on what the smoke smells/looks like it could be one of the many things. The most obvious case right now would be a bad o2 sensor. Look down at the exhaust and check if it's connected. If it is connected make sure it's working properly. When an 02 sensor goes bad it forces a car to run about 4 times richer, and automatically throughs a check engine light.
Another option could be your cylinder rings are worn, and oil is being picked up from the slump and pushed into the combustion chamber. When the oil burns, it burns white and smells funny.

A boost leak can also be the problem, although rare.

Go for the basics first, and try to get pictures of the exhuast as you rev it. it'll help us diagnose the problem more effectively. Much luck.

Gus
a PIC... in the first post he put a video of the car reving looking at the rear of the car

Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM

When your piston rings are blown it doesn't have to be blue. In most cases it's not, it's bright white, because it's oil that is being burned. The smoke looks like it's rich gas un purified. You should check your O2 sensors, or map sensors. Also your cat maybe burned out.

what does it smell like? and how does the car drive? is your turbo spooling on schedule?

Gus

Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 AM

When your piston rings are blown it doesn't have to be blue. In most cases it's not, it's bright white, because it's oil that is being burned. The smoke looks like it's rich gas un purified. You should check your O2 sensors, or map sensors. Also your cat maybe burned out.

what does it smell like? and how does the car drive? is your turbo spooling on schedule?

Gus
Its not oil, burning oil=blue smoke. White smoke = coolant. It may be the rear o2 just insnt there. We havnt been under it yet. It had a cat put on the day we bought it. 3" magnaflow stlye.lol

Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

I was going to say something but i couldnt be bothered.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: paintballproam

Gus
Its not oil, burning oil=blue smoke. White smoke = coolant. It may be the rear o2 just insnt there. We havnt been under it yet. It had a cat put on the day we bought it. 3" magnaflow stlye.lol
Go to autozone and get your SES light checked if you have a cat and the light is on then they shuld be able to tell you what is triggering the light to go on and for some reason it i going to prob be linked to the smoke. it prob is a bad o2. what it could be is maybe the old owner had and o2 sim, or fixso it would not trigger the light with no cat and now there is a cat so he o2 is acting like its dead.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:29 AM

"Its not oil, burning oil=blue smoke. White smoke = coolant."

HUHHH?!?!?!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Oil burns blue or black.... coolant burns white

Old 03-08-2007, 07:11 PM

I dont mean offence when saying this, and maybe your not expirience when it comes to actual mechanics and diagnoses of cars, but to say that oil burns black or blue is completly an ignorant comment. I've been a master technician for 13 years, and trust me when i say i know what color oil burns. It's terribly wrong when you say it only burns a certain way. Diffrent oils will burn in diffrent colors, and depending on your expirience youll know how to properly diagnose it. In such cases, full synthetic with high viscosities will burn mellow white and very transparent, maybe giving off the illusion of being blue. High compression big blocks burn oil hyper white, and extremely thick. Cheap oil will burn a darker color because it's not of it's crude oil blend.

Coolent also has variations, such as full blend, or 50/50. In v-DUBBS.the coolant that you have to use is red, and when that smokes, it comes out "orangy".
It's very wrong to just assume oil or coolant burns a certain way, because you cant just go by that. The most effective way to diagnose the exhaust is by the smell of it, and how it feels. Most coolant exhauast will burn damp and moist, and oil exhuast will actually smell like oil.

The most obvious exhaust is when you run to rich, which in most cases is dark brown, or even black. which is why i told paintball proam to check his o2 sensor.

maybe it's best to know something for certain, or ask some one who has expirience before you mislead people with false information.

Again, dont take this as an offence. i only try to educate people

Gus