2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Default Is this normal?

Alright, I'm not sure where GST's stand, but let me tell you a little bit about my racing experiences.

As far as i know, the car just has a Thermal Research and Development full exhaust and an open filter...(Maybe not?)

Well, i raced my buddy's 2003 Mazdaspeed protege and he bumped up his boost to 12lbs. (Maybe he messed up) Who knows...But, i murdered it every time we raced...Especially top end...

I also raced an 05 350z 6-speed, very good driver. From a 15 roll, he got the hit, i stayed with him door to door and started pulling him in 4th. Race ended with me slightly ahead...

Also raced my buddy's 05 mustang GT with shorty headers and exhaust. (Automatic) I immediately jumped out about a half car, due to him being an auto, then continued to pull slowly. He slowed my pull, but never got ahead of me. Seems like the longer the race would go, the more i would inch away....

Raced a Camaro Iroc Z that was modded for sure. The car sounded mean, had a huge cowl hood and gauges inside. It didn't have crazy mods, but i would definitely say headers, exhaust, misc bolt ons. Possible cam, but doubtful. This was a better race, but he was cheap. He was in front and floored it before me. Needless to say, i caught back up and passed him....Should have seen the look on his face. lol

What's the deal here? People keep telling me my car has more mods than it does, but as far as i know it doesn't...Is this typical results from a 95 GST?

My friend told me he thinks someone had a boost controller in it and boosted the pressure and took the controller when he sold it...Is this possible?

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Default RE: Is this normal?

and u cnat turn the boost up and remove the controller because a boost controller just bypasses ur wastegate and like out smarts it pretty much. and when u remove it ur back to ur stock boost. do u have an aftermarket boost gauge?. how much boost are you pushing right now?. he must have a larger turbo in it maybe

Old 02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

that doesnt sound too far off. You probably have a few more mods than you think since it seems like your running a low 14 which is pretty much what you should be on most boltons.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah something is up w/ your gst b/c the '05 and up mustang gt's run mid 13's.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Well, a bolt on automatic GT will probably run a 13.8, but this is also due to the good 60' achieved. Racing a new mustang from a roll is a big disadvantage and they lose a lot from a roll. From a dig, he would murder me.

What other mods could the car have? Is their anyway i can try and find out, or look for something that may give a clue?

We obviously know it's running at stock boost now...

No, the car doesn't have an aftermarket boost gauge and where is the boost controller supposed to be?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Post a pic of the engine.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 AM

okay one you need to get someone that knows the 4g63 motor under your hood. Do you know the guy who owned the car b4 you he's going to be your best source of info

Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM

pop the hood and stand at the front of the car looking at it. boost control would be to the left of the turbo to the right of pass. headlight and between intake and radiator. the stock one is a little black piece about inch and half long with two hoses going into it and wire comeing out of the bottom. another clue would be to look for a pluged t- fitting on one of the air lines prob coming from off the blow off valve. that would be a sign that previous owner had boost gauge installed and then took with him..... because im not really sure of anyone here that would play with thier boost with out having a gauge to monitor it.. could also have an bolt on upgraded turbo. or could be just the mods your talking of the car just likes you

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Default just re read ur post

thought about it and thought back to when I had just intake and exhaust and im thinking that its possible that you might have what you think you do. the 350z is not a fast car cant remember exact model mustang your talkin but most all you should have or at least be able to give a good run and the iroc you should be able to do the same. dont know about everyone else but find 1st 2nd and 3rd gear are there just to get up to speed but 4th and then especially 5th pull like a champ.
let us know what you find out