Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Grinding noise then clunk! Fixed! (4x4 flashing lights related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM

i also have a 2000 montero xls and it has the 4x4 light blinking and anti lock light on i have the clunking noise when i back up and turn all the way one way...any sugestions

Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by xyzik
Hello I am new here, great forum. My problem is:

I was driving and as I was coming to a light, I heard this horrible grinding sound. I thought it was delivery truck next to me. I figured out that the horrible sound was me.

I pulled over slowed down then I heard a clunk sound, turned off the montero and started again and the grinding noise disappeared

Im worried about the clunk at the end when this grinding noise occurs? will this be a tranny problem or more likley a brake issue?

2003 montero limited
I drove my 2003 Montero with that noise & clunk for 6 months -4WD light flashing. Changed transfer case switches and 2 were bad(not opening) . Noise stopped but light was still on. After 9 hrs of diagnostics mechanic confirmed my fear- I put 2 switches into wrong holes. You instal those by feel (no access unless you drop the case completly).
So if you don't have the shop manual replace switches one by one . Now my system works and switches, BUT in 2WD after few minutes the noise and clunk is back and on the highway the light starts flashing!!!!! Only in 2WD , there,s no problem in 4WD.
My mechanic said the system shows no problems. He's 2 hours away so I will try disengage vacuum hoses to see if it helps. Freewheel switch is fine and hoses look fine too. My next step is replacing the solenoids. meanwhile I drive in 4WD.
One last thing -the system is trying to disengage not engage ( i think) because the safety feature in default mode ( when transfer light is flashing) keeps it 4WD. Paid $360 for 5 switches but you can easily check them with ohmmeter for continuity and find the bad one. Hope it helps and I will let you know when I fix this problem . I was all fine for 7 yrs and 180000km ( 112000mi).

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM

I know it might not be related but I would say to check your motor mounts. I had an annoing squeaking noise and a clunk at the end, it took me 4 months to find out it was the engine mounts after changing the chucks, the ball joints, bushings, and greasing up every joint possible........any ways, good luck with your car

Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Bin
Smile

I had the same problem and found the problem while reading this site

it was simply the vaccum vailve dirty i just clean it and then no more grinding sound and no more flashing light the vaccume valve is located ubder the airfilter with yellow and blue dots on it, cost me nothing, try it

Old 04-10-2015, 10:27 PM

My issue was the same then i found that a ridgid coolant hose near the front diff actuator had bounced and snapped off the vac nipple on the actuator. My solenoids were fine.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the update on this problem.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:29 AM

My 2004 montero limited is doing this but only sometimes. Ill be driving in 2h fine and them it will start grinding. Once i stop and it clunks, it starts driving fine again. Checked the resistance on the solenoid and they were at 70-90 so im guessing thats the cause. Thing is Im not sure which part number it is. Dealer told me its mr430381 which is around $100-$120 but when i search it online i get a product thats looks the same exact as the one on my montero now and its only $20. Part number for that is mb937731. Is it save to interchange them? Are they the same? Also is the fact that it comes and goes rule out the solenoid? Thanks so much this site has never failed to help me.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Freethemontero
My 2004 montero limited is doing this but only sometimes. Ill be driving in 2h fine and them it will start grinding. Once i stop and it clunks, it starts driving fine again. Checked the resistance on the solenoid and they were at 70-90 so im guessing thats the cause. Thing is Im not sure which part number it is. Dealer told me its mr430381 which is around $100-$120 but when i search it online i get a product thats looks the same exact as the one on my montero now and its only $20. Part number for that is mb937731. Is it save to interchange them? Are they the same? Also is the fact that it comes and goes rule out the solenoid? Thanks so much this site has never failed to help me.
I went with an OEM replacement from Amazon which was like $25.00, problem solved. Funny thing, this same vacuum tandem valve part is used in the Triton, Pajero, etc. Basically in every Mits modern 4x4 vehicle, whether US model or European model. There are 3 or 4 Mits part numbers for the same part. Price is different for each part number, Montero/Pajero/Shogun being the most expensive. Do an Amazon search and you will find lots of options, all good. Sometimes you have to change the position of an elbow that comes with the part, depends on your vehicle, that is a 15 seconds manual procedure.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 PM

Yes, that MB937731 is a good one, believe that's the one I got.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 PM

Ok good cause that saves me a lot haha. Thanks!