Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Mitsubishi Camshaft and Crankshaft Seal Install Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Default Mitsubishi Camshaft and Crankshaft Seal Install Tools

I am gathering all the parts to do the timing belt/water pump service on my 2002 Montero Ltd. Since it will be apart, I plan to do the camshaft and crakshaft front seals.

Since I would like to do this just once, I am considering buying the special seal installation tools. Three questions:
1. Do I really need these?
2. Does any forum member have them to lend/rent?
3. If I buy them, is there any interest in a rental program--small fee and shipping?

I do a bit of wrenching on my motorbikes (Ducati/Triumph) so have regular tools and some ability. This forum and my manual are providing the knowledge base.
Thanks for that!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 AM

Hello SpyVito, If you intend on replacing the front crank seal you won't be able to do it as there is no front crank seal when you do the timing belt. It is not a regular harmonic balancer pulley as you will see when you take it off BY HAND. No tools needed. Just remove the bolt and it comes right off. Now, My bro and I came up with a SPECIAL TOOL for the timing belt tightener. If you have a welder handy I can show you how to make one or you can pick one up. Now for the FRONT camshaft seals We also made another SPECIAL TOOL for that too. Not to hard to do. Also order the REAR camshaft seals as my kit did NOT include them within the kit. I ordered the top rebuild kit. The timing belt/water pump kit. Everything else seems to be in order as far as gaskets go. I have many pictures but the forum doesn't allow drop n drag so my Facebook may be the place to go as I have a lot of forum ppl on my page, Just let me know what you want to do bud. It will be quite an intense build but I am sure you will enjoy the build. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:05 AM
Default More pictures

Thanks, a link to more pictures would be great.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM

I purchased a tool set from ebay to install the front seals. I had already removed them, but the set has ability to remove seals also. It was about $75 with shipping. Mitsubishi no longer produces or sells the their custom tools for the seals. Auction for one.

On the timing belt thread about pg 7 there are a lot of great pictures and I utilized the vise grips/need nose pliers combo for the timing belt pulley.

The rear cam seals should be replaced also. I still need to do mine. When I have went to order the o-rings I see in the pictures here, I get a flat seal similar to the front, but without the center hole. I am not sure if this is an update to fix the common leak problem or what. Mine doesn't appear to have this seal currently installed, which I am not sure to to easily remove or reinstall given its location. I was preferring to replace the o-rings and add a little sealant to the plate.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 PM

When I did my cam seals I had to remove the camshaft through the REAR so the head had to be removed and I had to buy a 10mm hex head socket to do so. The front cam seals after they were all cleaned up did not require any special tool for the install. Just a little sealant and the pretty much slid right in.
The rear ORINGS were actually very simple to do. Just two bolts and popped right off. Cleaned them up and a little sealant and popped back on.
My facebook page is bob mitch come and join the gang.