Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Air filter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Default Air filter question

Will a K&N air filter throw off the computer, and cause damage to engine or transmission? I have been reading reviews, have gotten a lot of differing opinions. One of the most stated is that the old carb engines did benefit for the add air flow, but that todays engines are designed to such standards that the increased air flow would throw off what the computer is "programmed" for best engine performance. Had one guy stating it would cause the tranny to shift incorrectly also, causing thousands of $$$$ in damage.

Also, lots of people were stating that the only problem they saw was that if you over oiled the filter, it would throw off the air flow sensors because of oil buildup on the sensor wire.

I would GREATLY appreciate any insight from the members of this group!

2012 Outlander 3.0L MIVEC

Old 02-20-2015, 06:50 AM

hummm, I wondfr if the guy with the tranny problems works for the paper filter co.. That just sounds ridiculous don't ya think.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:18 AM

I think the tranny shifting incorrectly is a bunch of malarky. That would have nothing to do with air intake. I have read a lot about too much oil fouling the MAF/MAP sensor.

I would also think you'd have to change your intake/exhaust drastically to need a tune. I'm thinking something like adding a turbo/supercharger...stuff like that. a simple K&N and even a set of headers would not need a re-tune.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:25 PM

The only thing that makes since is the over oiling of the filter causing an issue with the MAF sensor. The rest is just BS. I have an 09 V6 Outllander with K&N and have had no issues. Just don't over oil.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:20 AM

Thanks all! Yea, the tranny problem really sounded odd. Man, the arguments on other forums over the K&Ns is really something.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:57 PM

i got k&n filter in my 2012 outlander, about 2 years now, no any problems. Bought my on sale for under $50 from Summit racing.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 AM

Increased air flow is always a benefit, especially with a turbo.....
more air - better combustion

I wouldn't put too much stock in the claim of extra mpg and power though using a k&n, if there were any gains it would be negligible. Only benefit for me when i've had them in the past is they last for the lifetime of the vehicle so pay for themselves over time. oh and they do one some models make the engine sound a bit gruntier

Old 03-01-2015, 05:35 AM

The K & N filter works great for me so far, No codes and no complaints. I don't give a rats *** what tranny is shifting although I have no problems with the truck now. Awesome and you don't have to buy another one is what I'm talking about..

Old 03-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM

All of that is based on ignorance. The only plausible concern is over oiling the filter and gunking up a hot wire sensor. However, most newer cars use a thermistor now, so even then it would have to be a ton of gunk to make that go bad.

K and N filters do add horsepower, but you'll usually need a Tune to see the benefit, unless you're at higher altitude and the car is having trouble making the A/F ratio due to low air density, then every little bit helps. But for the most part, you aren't going to see much gain unless you have a tune. The air restriction bottleneck is usually the engine itself, and manufacturers always design their filters to give more than enough flow for the factory tune.