1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

balance shaft correct position questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Default balance shaft correct position questions.

hey guys, im in the process of installing a new timing belt. and im curious how to tell if my balance shaft is in the correct position or not. i read the vfaq and such and i know how im suppose to do it.. however something just isnt setting right. so ill post up my questions and maybe you guys can point out what im not seeing.

ok in my chiltons manual, it says to remove the plug and insert a screwdriver to see if the balance shaft is in the right position. this makes since to me. however i cannot find the plug! i found 1 plug directly under my turbo exhaust flange. however i have no way of getting to it to check. is this the correct hole.

and the manual also says that if the screw driver only goes in an inch or so than i need to spin my oil pump sprocket one turn. however i fail to see how this will affect position of my balance shaft???

the only thing i can see is that perhaps its possible to have the oil pump sprocket installed wrong or something? i never took off either the balance shaft sprocket or my oil pump sprocket. so do i really need to do the screwdriver test?

Ive read my manual several times, and i see the need and importance of having the balance shaft and oil pump in sync. however i cannot for the life of me understand how to check it. and ive searched and used the vfaq and 1000 questions answered forums with no luck.

HELP!
-

Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Default RE: balance shaft correct position questions.

there are 2 balance shafts
one driven from the oil pump sprocket, one driven from the obvious BS sprocket
i have a motor pulled froma car if you would like pictures of the location of the plugs, i wont have much time untill sunday though.
gotta race tomorrow and wont get home untill at least 3 AM