1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Blown Head Gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Default Blown Head Gasket???

Hey guys, i just bought this eclipse from this guy who has let it sit at my work for over a year now. I only paid two hundred for it and they later told me it had a bad head on it or blown head gasket or something like that. I was thinking it isnt that thought because when i first got it it ran pretty good and then it started to idle rough so i was looking at everything and i noticed the exhaust manifold was cracked. I recently replaced that after it through an 02 code due to the crack. Anyways since i replaced the manifold with the header it has ran pretty good but it still hesitates about 1 second exactly before it accelereates after i give it gas from an idle. Also it idle pretty low at about 700 and it is pretty rough inside the car. Also it surges from about 500-900 when it first starts warm or not than after it is ran a few minutes or so it steadys out to 700 or so. I was thinking possibly my plug wires may be bad just because i can pull the 1 and 4 wire and it will start spark at the top of the plug tube, but the 3 and 4 wires stop sparking at about 1/2 way up the tube. Could that be low compression in those cylinders or is it the wires. Another thing is what is really the difference between the economy and power options of the transmission besides the shift points. Does anyone know the top speed of a stock 1994 Eclipse GS NT. Anyways my biggest and most important question is does any of this sound like a bad head gasket becuz that is why the old owner left it sitting becuz my now boss told him it had a bad head gasket. I do work at a service station and he is ASE certified but i just dont think that is what it is because i know a bad manifold can or should make it run rough like that. Maybe i just need to let it retrain its self to be running properly with a good manifold. I dont know but i do no that i am about 1 qt low on oil now and i changed it about a month or so ago but i did notice what looked to be like a fresh layer of oil on the outside of the oil pan and right on top of the pan where it meets the block when i was putting on my header last night. Do you think that may be the reson for low oil does the pan gasket tend to go out on these cars relatively easy. Thank you for the help and sorry about the long post but i really need help before i tear into my other car to make it my dragster. Thank you for the help again.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Blown Head Gasket???

My car surges too, and I have yet to fix it. None the less, the ISC causes a surge in these cars a lot. I don't know if that's what's wrong with yours, but it's worth a shot. It's right on the Throttle Body, under where the intake hose goes on the TB. It has a square plug on it, with 6 prongs in it.It will either be blackor brownish in color.You can test if it's bad with a multi meter. With the car off and cool, check the resistance between prongs 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 4 and 5, 5 and 6. It should read somewhere around 30 to 35 Ohms for the brownish, and somewhere around 40 something for the black, I believe. On to the top speed, I'm not sure on yours but mine's a 92 Talon NT manual trans, and I got up to 110 mph, but I believe I could have gone faster. But my friend has the same kinda car and he blew his engine at 110 mph. Thats about all I know of a web site to help with idle surge, I'll send the link if that doesn't work. Let us know how things go.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Hey thanks alot i will give that a try at work tomorrow. Also does anyone know why there is hesitation in my throttle response or would the ISC cause this problem as well. I am new to the dsm group and don't know too much about them. Also super, howmany miles were on your buddy's motor because i was thinking about taking it out tonight or some night soon to see what i can do. mine only has about 92000 miles. anyways thnx for the help and let me know.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 PM

I'm not possitive if the ISC would cause that too or not, it might though. I'm also not possitive on the miles, but I believe he had over 100,000. Just incase the ISC turns out to be ok. Here's a very good website to read up on, they have all kinds of great info http://vfaq.com/index-main.htmlLet us know.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM

So i havent had a chance to test the isc yet but i did just recently realize it does in fact have a blown head gasket becuz i went out after it was running for about 20 minutes and was warm and it was smoking like a b**** so. I did get some stuff to seal it, it is called steelseal. i read and watched a video and it looks legit so i guess i will find out here in a few hours so i will post the results either later tonight or early tomorrow day.