1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Engine Problems!!! Need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Default Engine Problems!!! Need Help!!!

I have a 92 talon tsi awd that has a rebuilt engine with aout 2,000 miles on it.Here are the problems i am having. It all started out as a big boost leak and the acceleration had some hesitation and then the radiator was leaking and i didnt notice in time and overheated the car so i replaced the radiator. I got a new intake hose and then the boost leak went away and it worked well for a while. Then a couple of days later the engine started stalling when i came to a complete stop and right away at start up the the rpms would go up to anywhere between 2500 and 3000 rpms and it would stay there for a little while and then the rpms would drop to normal around 750 rpms. Two days ago i was driving to work when i noticed that the boost gauge was stuck at 14 psi for a while and the exhaust was shooting out black smoke at times. Then i got home from work on my break and let the car run for four min before turning it off and then 10 min before i had to leave i started it to let the rpms even out and i went outside to leave and i noticed white smoke rolling from the engine so i ran to the car and shut it off and it sounded like the antifreeze was boiling or else the engine was trying to get more antifreeze. This kinda makes me wonder if it was because i didnt make sure to get out all the air bubles after i replaced the engine coolant sensor. The hole time threw all my problems there has been an engine surge on start up that i thought maybe this was just due to the engine being cold. Also the turbo has been wineing.I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, radiator cap, intake hose, radiator hoses, fuel pump, and the engine coolant sensor.Could these problems be the result of having a bad turbo or is there more to my problems? I thought about taking the talon to the mitsubishi dealer just to have them test it and see what the problem is. Is this the way to go?[/align]

Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine Problems!!! Need Help!!!

start by doing a compression test. I have a feeling that when you had the coolant leak you may have blown the head gasket. That would account from pretty much all the problems your talking about because if its that bad youll really be leaking compression and it will run like crap

Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

I agree do a compression testand post the results.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM

I did a compression test today on my break from work and the results were 120 120 120 and about 115. What is normal for a tsi awd?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 PM

and there was some corrosion on the spark plug closest to the timing belt.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

They all seem a little low, they should be in the 150 psi range.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Thats what i was thinking maybe i did some thing wrong when i was testing it. Is there anything more i have to do other that pull the spark plugs all out and test one by one? IF not does this mean my head gasket is bad?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

When you do a compression test your suppose to pull all the plugs out and the gas pedal should be depressed all the way to the floor. Its hard to say what is bad, try doing a "wet" compression test.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Ok i will try testing again last time i didnt have the gas pedal to the floor. Whats the difference between a dry and a wet compression test sorry fairly new to working on any cars.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

For the wet test all you do is add abt a cap full of oil and put it in the cylinders. Since you got abt 120 psi if it jumps to 140-150psi then the rings are suspect.

Quick Reply: Engine Problems!!! Need Help!!!