1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Engine Problems!!! Need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:41 PM

I have decided that I'm going to have my throttle body rebuilt so I am going to send it to www.throttlebodys.com to have it rebuilt and have the sensors checked as well. A buddy of mine was helping me with my talon and he mentioned that I should just go and get that done. Will be trying to ship it out sometime this week. Hopefully that will fix a problem or tw

Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM

I got the throttle body back this week and installed it last night. Fired it up today and there was no more air leak so my seals on the throttle body were shot. Steve at www.throttlebodys.com did a great job on the rebuild. Took it out for a spin today and when I got back to my garage and stopped I let it run for a little bit and it stalled out. I had this problem before and I just adjusted the BISS screw so I'm going to adjust it again and that should work that kink out.

Also my tranny is slipping at times during acceleration. A buddy of mine and I were looking at it a few weeks ago and we figure that my tranny is starting to go so I am currently looking for a used 1G AWD 6-bolt tranny. The tranny I have in now is a 7 bolt on my 6-bolt engine and it sounds like its hitting a little bit.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:55 PM

After I got the Throttle Body installed the check engine light was still coming on. I decided to go and check all of my connectors and see which ones needed to be replace. I went to the salvage yards and found of the connectors i needed in great shape so I got them and replaced all of them. This ended up clearing most of the codes, now I just have two codes that are coming up; #14 TPS and #31 Detonation (Knock) sensor.

The guy who redid my throttle body should have tested the TPS to make sure that its working right. I must need to adjust the throttle body properly on the car though. Still have some idle surging on cold starts which is probably due to the TPS. I looked over the knock sensor and I notice that it had been rewired in a weird way. So I'm planning on buying a new knock sensor and rewire it back to factory specs.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 PM

I have an update on my progress. I went on vfaq.com to see how to properly set my TPS sensor and I went through the steps on there and set the TPS which cleared the code. Then i bought a new 02 sensor and wired it in to the old splices that were made prior to me owning the car and it was still throwing the code. I did some digging into my factory service manual and realized that they made the splice at the wrong connector. It was actually spliced into a connector for the AC which has been taken out. Found the right connector I needed to splice to and what do you know it cleared the code.

The car was still acting up so I decided to do a leak test and found a leak where the throttle body and the intake manifold meet up. The threads on the manifold ended up being stripped out so I went to Carquest and got a Helicore kit and I was able to fix the threads and stop the leak. Started it up the next day and I was still getting the idle surge and the transmission was still hesitating when shifting.

I'm thinking that the transmission is going out. I am also going to do another compression check to make sure that nothing is wrong on that end.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Van

Not sure if you're still fighting the surge, but if your closed throttle position switch isn't set right it's always gonna surge a little.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Started throwing codes again #25 so I got a known working MAS to see if that was the problem.Tested the talon with a working MAS and still the same problem.

Then I was out of town for a couple of weeks and when I got back and took the talon for a spin even more CEL codes were being thrown again and was taking a while to get it started up. So I opened the ECU up and noticed that i had a leaky capacitor. Ordered some new caps and replaced them with no change.

I'm thinking that my ECU is messed up but I would like to be able to test this out with a known working ECU for a 92 automatic Talon TSI AWD so I currently looking for some one who has one that I could borrow and test off it for a day to make sure its my ECU before I continue.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 PM

I have decided to buy a rebuilt ECU from Motoguys Garage. I just purchased it last Wed and it should be coming in this week. I am pretty sure that this is my problem but just in case Motoguys Garage lets you try out the ECU for 5 days and if that doesn't fix anything I can send it back for a full refund. They also offer a good price of $300 and possible $100 back for core if they are able to rebuild mine so if I'm lucky it will only cost me $200.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Today I decided to make a quick trip to the salvage yard to see if I could find a working ECU. I ended up coming across the same exact car as mine, same color and everything. I was unsure if this was a good or bad sign, so I found the ECU laying in the car and another ECU laying in another car along with a few random parts that I needed for the interior for $40. Got home and open the ECU up finding that there was no leaky caps or damage to the ECU whatsoever.

After that I popped it in my Talon and drove it around, no codes where being thrown and the engine was running and sounding a lot better. Keeping my fingers crossed as I continue to drive and test out my Talon.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Update!!

I have been driving my Talon around to make sure that it was running better after I got the ECU. Everything was running better except for the fact that I was loosing coolant but no leaks anywhere. Then I decided to do a compression test and two of the cylinders were past the limit. Took my head off and found that I had a blown head gasket, brought my head to a machine shop and they found that two of my valves were messed up as well and they had to resurface my head.