Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES Engine problems, Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Default 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES Engine problems, Help please?

Hello everyone. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES that has thrown the codes

P0300 Random/Multiple Misfires
PO441 Evap Cntrl Purge Flow Fault
P0452 Pressure Sensor low.

I know that the EVAP ones are important but not all to dangerous. Its the P0300. The car has 157,708 miles on it. Also an unknown history. I bought the car about 6 months ago and just now was able to get it together. It was in pieces when I bought it. Once the mechanic got it together, He could not get it to start. The timing was off. So once he got it fixed, The car started up right away. Little hesitation, Nothing serious.

He said he had to replace the spark plugs as well. I haven't checked them but will do so tomorrow to make sure they are new and gapped correctly.
Also, The RPMS shoot up to 2k rpms when started in Park. When you put it into Drive it will drop down to 1500 or less. This is when it is cold. When it warms up, It will be about 1500 in park and about 700-900 in Drive but misfires and wants to stall. But the rpms just go right back up.

The air filter is practically new when checked and I just changed the oil in it today. I will post the info that I got from the scanner.

When I had the record data triggered by the trouble code this is what I got. I had started the car for about 3-5 seconds to let the oil circulate when I did this. No more than 3-5 seconds.

Trouble Code P0300
Abslt TPS % 0.3
Eng Speed RPM 1730
Calc Load % 14.9
MAF Flow GR/SE 4.56
Coolant F 201
IAT F 98
IGN Advance DE 25.0
ST FTRM1 % 24.2
LT FTRM1 % 0.0
ST FTRM3 % -100.6
LT FTRM3 % -100.6
Veh Speed MPH 0
Fuel Sys 1 CLSD
Fuel Sys 2 N/A

This was done with the ignition in the run position after turning the car off.

Now, I decided to check the "View Data" area and this is what I had gotten. This was a few min after playing around with the scanner. It was the first time I really used it.

MIL Status "on"
Abslt TPS % 1.1
Eng Speed RPM 0
Calc Load % 0.0
MAF Flow GR/SE 0.00
Coolant F 71
IAT F 51
IGN ADVANCE DE 61.0
ST FTRM1 % 0.0
LT FTRM1 % 10.9
Veh Speed 0
Fuel Sys 1 OPEN 1
Fuel Sys 2 N/A
02s11 V 0.000
ST FTRM11 % 0.0
02S12 V 0.000
ST FTRM12 % 0.0
OBD2 Stat CA

Then I was able to read the code P0452, This is what I got.
Freeze Frame Data

Abslt TPS % 1.1
Eng Speed RPM 2226
Calc Load % 21.1
MAF Flow GR/SE 8.75
Coolant F 66
IAT F 50
IGN Advance DE 28.0
ST FTRM % 0.00
LT FTRM % 12.5
ST FTRM % -100.6
LT FTRM % -100.6
Veh Speed 0
Fuel Sys 1 Open1
Fuel Sys 2 N/A

This was found out AFTER I was able to erase the codes which came back right after.......Also got some Oxygen Sensor codes.

02 Bank 1 Sensor 1

Rich-LN Thresh

MAX ----- (V) ?
MEAS. 0.520 (V)
MIN ----- (V)
MOD ----- $00

LN - RICH
Same As above

Test ID $70
Max 10?
MEAS 255
MIN 0
MOD $00

This was scanned with a Actron CP9180. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 AM

Update!!!

I was reading somewhere about disconnecting the MAF sensor and if the idle changes and then dies, Then it could be a problem with the MAF how ever I also heard that the fuel pump would quit because it functions with the MAF and since there is no reading, It will just shut off.

Either way, When I did take it off, RPMS went to 1500 and then to 1k and then just dropped. I did this with the TPS as well and nothing changed. It stood the same way. I think the TPS is the one on the right hand side of the throttle body, right?

Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM

Any more updates? I am having a stalling issue on my 2005 Lancer ES (auto), but not the exact same. It isn't throwing any codes and the check engine light doesn't come on, but intermittently it will just stall out when I am idling in traffic. The issue seems to get significantly worse after a downhill stretch, like off an exit ramp. The whole thing is so irritating that I might just replace the car rather than keep changing things (I got new spark plugs/wires and a new fuel filter after it started, and right before it started I had gotten an oil change and a new air filter).

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 AM

Sadly, I have no more updates as I have just stopped trying to mess with it.
Not sure what is causing the P0300 code but I am aware of what the others are already.

As for your issue, I would suggest looking at the coil packs. I had a Chevy S10 that would do the same thing to me and I never even checked the distributor and trust me, It was the only thing left next to me changing parts out. I had changed everything to help the problem. Well, I never did check the wiring itself or the Computer for that matter.

But that is my suggestion, Get your coil packs checked out. That could cause you this problem. Not long ago, My fathers Dodge Caravan SE decided to just "Die out" while he was driving it!!!

It was the distributor because we just recently changed the spark plugs and wires on it as well and gave it an oil change as well as air filter. That would be my guess for you.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM
Default Any resolution?

Originally Posted by Josh45
Update!!!

I was reading somewhere about disconnecting the MAF sensor and if the idle changes and then dies, Then it could be a problem with the MAF how ever I also heard that the fuel pump would quit because it functions with the MAF and since there is no reading, It will just shut off.

Either way, When I did take it off, RPMS went to 1500 and then to 1k and then just dropped. I did this with the TPS as well and nothing changed. It stood the same way. I think the TPS is the one on the right hand side of the throttle body, right?
Hi Josh45,

Wondering if you ever figures this out. BTW, I had a bad MAF sensor throwing code P0102. The engine would go limp under high torque conditions like passing or quick acceleration. Disconnecting the MAF sensor completely restore normal engine behavior. It did not result in the fuel pump shutdown you described. I replaced the MAF and everything still normal and no codes. Anyway, thought I would share. Thanks for any info regarding P0300.