1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

oh no!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Default oh no!!!

alright, yesterday i came home from work, turned off my car and later that night i went outside to start it so i could move it and it kept wanting to die and it sounded like one of the cams was hitting a piece of the lower timing belt cover. so today i replaced the cover and when i got it all back together and tried to start it, nothing really happened. just kept cranking over and when that was happening, it sounded like the starter sounded wussyish ( if that makes sense) and i dodnt mess with any electrical on the car and now it wont start.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: oh no!!!

Well first off I don't think the timing belt cover was your problem... I'm going to guess it's a bit more serious than that. Perhaps a problem with the timing itself? Does it hesitate when starting at any point? I mean does it spin then get sluggish or make a clank? Have you tried jumping the battery to see if maybe it's weak? How long was it running with the slapping sound? How was the power at the time? Did it drive normal with just the sound to irritate you or did it seem underpowered?

Old 01-10-2006, 08:48 PM

well i replaced the cover because i snapped off a piece of it when i was taking the head off. yes it does hesitate, it started right up the other day, it will rev up and then want to die and then it will rev up a little bit more and then want to die. then yesterday we tried to start it and it just kept cranking over. i didnt drive it because it wasnt running right so i didnt want to mess up anything else. but when i looked at the timimg belt it seemed a little loose, and its been only like 10 days since i put the new timimg belt on.

hope this helps

Old 01-12-2006, 12:46 AM

well i put the car in the garage again for the secong time in the past month, and it seems that one of the rocker arms cracked, so when we took the valve cover off, we were able to pull them all right out with our fingers. only on the intake side though. but the head has to come off again and have it all done again because i could have possibly bent all the intake valves. that would suck a**. anybody know if there is a thing that says your not supposed to take the valve seats out, only at the factory?????. (estraw you want to come back over to my house and take the head off.) and should i get stock valves or go with aftermarket ones.

thanks in advance

Old 01-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

First off I don't believe there is anything about taking the valve seats out only in factory. Valve seats need replaced eventually anyways so why not? Now what are your future plans for the engine? Going to beef it or remain stock? If you're going to beef it and mod it then go for the aftermarket fo sho. If you're going to daily drive it and never do anything other than maintain it go with stock. And jeez dude... I don't think you would have bent the valves but it's always better to check. You just have NO luck do you...

Old 01-12-2006, 08:22 PM

i gues i have no luck, only ran for 3 days. im gonna start taking the head off again.( next time ill be able to do it blindfolded) i want to beef it up and run 12's but the last rebuild and the turbo took my account to only a couple hundred bucks. guess i gotta work mor to save up. and where should i go if i want my head beefed up ( buschur racing) perhaps. ill post tomorrow and hopefully have pics of it. heres a pic of of the bad rocker that cracked.

p.s. is there anybody in the cleveland, ohio area

Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Damn dude I know that area like the back of my hand... But I moved to VA still got family up there though. Up in Mentor and my sister's goin to Kent... LOL You do have no luck though. I'd say get the head port and polished since you're going to send it in anyways...

Old 01-13-2006, 12:23 AM

thanks, where should i send it out to because i dont want to drive it in the winter because i hate salt. and the longer i have it in the garage, the better i feel that winter is one day closer to being over.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Well since it's not your daily driver I'd say go looking at different shops price compare and look for whatever you can find that will give a good price and has a good rep. I'm not too sure about shops that are up there. I've always done all my own work so I've never dealt with them (NOTHING like changing a head gasket in your back yard with nothing but a socket set and some screwdrivers LOL)

Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 AM

thats funny. but buschur racing is up in wakeman and all ive heard is good things from them. ( is port and polishing something that i can just do or is something you just have to know how to do) in other terms, is it easy to do?