1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Stalls, Intermitient, Fuel Injection Relay Spastic

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Default RE: Stalls, Intermitient, Fuel Injection Relay Spastic

Thanks guys, I am about at my witts end with this. Its so #@$@#$@! unpredictable. I just dont get it.

This week its been more of the same. Yesterday it ran 100% fine, no problems at all. This morning, it stalled 6 times on the way in, weather conditions are identical to yesterday. During stall episode #2 this morning I got out a can of 'canned air' like they use for cleaning computers etc. I sprayed it upside down (basically feezing jet) onto the transistor ignition pack and the coil to cool them. Got back in the car and no dice.

I'm about to give up and junk it.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: rahlquist

Thanks guys, I am about at my witts end with this. Its so #@$@#$@! unpredictable. I just dont get it.

This week its been more of the same. Yesterday it ran 100% fine, no problems at all. This morning, it stalled 6 times on the way in, weather conditions are identical to yesterday. During stall episode #2 this morning I got out a can of 'canned air' like they use for cleaning computers etc. I sprayed it upside down (basically feezing jet) onto the transistor ignition pack and the coil to cool them. Got back in the car and no dice.

I'm about to give up and junk it.
ORIGINAL: get435

I had the same problem here is what i did. First i had a bad cam pos sensor so i replacxed it made the sputter stop. than it would just die for no reason. i took it to the dealer and the relaced the crank pos sensor which was recalled as well and my air Idle control sensor was bad they replaced it took 1 month for me to get the car back. they still didnt fix the problem because they said that my head had somthing wrong with it and was causing the mapo sensore to shut the system down. so i went to pull the motor and also had a dead piston only pushing 100psi i pulled the whole motor and there it was piston 1 valve guides had been leaking oil and pluged the exhaust port up causing a shuttdown besides the dead piston so now i am getting the motor rebuilt beefed up and it will work like new got it in writing that the dealer will fix it for free if it dies after this.
In my opinon you sould take it somwhere like auto zone and see if it is pulling any error codes you be having the same problem i did.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 AM

In my opinon you sould take it somwhere like auto zone and see if it is pulling any error codes you be having the same problem i did.
I'm going to try to pull the error codes this weekend. I did notice one thing this morning. I drive it about 2 miles to the gas station, it stalled. I got out and checked under the hood. The crankshaft sensor was HOT almost so hot I could barely keep my hand on it. The valve cover wasnt that hot yet since I had just started the car for the first time of the day. Do you know if these things are supposed to get that hot during normal operation?

Anyone? Does your crank position sensor get this hot? Specifically the metal cover in the center of the unit, not nessecarily the almuminum housing?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: rahlquist

I'm going to try to pull the error codes this weekend. I did notice one thing this morning. I drive it about 2 miles to the gas station, it stalled. I got out and checked under the hood. The crankshaft sensor was HOT almost so hot I could barely keep my hand on it. The valve cover wasnt that hot yet since I had just started the car for the first time of the day. Do you know if these things are supposed to get that hot during normal operation?

Anyone? Does your crank position sensor get this hot? Specifically the metal cover in the center of the unit, not nessecarily the almuminum housing?
To touch the crank postion sensor you have to get under the car is this sensor under the car or on the side of the head? if it is on the head it is the cam pos sensor not the crank and yes they both will get hot the crank sensor is put into the block so it will get as hot as the internals of the motor. as for Specifically the metal cover in the center of the unit, not nessecarily the almuminum housing? is this on the crank or cam pos sensor? if it is it was not ment to be there. or is the housing on the exhaust?

Old 07-14-2005, 04:20 PM

The crankshaft position sensor is indeed physically connected to the camshaft. Dunno why Mitubish named it thusly but its what they called it. The cover I am referring to is apparent in the image of one at;
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/BeckArnl...ml?1800214.jpg

In the image above the cover is facing away from you in this image and is off to the right.

To clarify. On my 2.0L engine. When you open the hood, and stand on the passenger side looking at the engine the cam/crankshaft sensor is mounted to the side of the valve cover facing you, slightly to the firewall side of the valve cover and almost directly above the thermostat housing. When facing the unit from this position you will be staring directly at the metal cover I mentioned. In my case the metal cover is attached to the crank/cam position sensor with 'security screws' similar to the One-Way Slotted screw halfway down this page http://www.tamperproof.com/index.cfm...ction=products

If you work you way through rockauto's menus https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mfr,A1+CARDONE and go to Misubishi/1990/Eclips GS/2.0L(non turbo)/Ignition/Crankshaft Position sensor you can find the image referenced above. Anyhow this is what I am starting to really suspect is my problem.

Its a shame something with so simple a function has got to be so horribly expensive! Because lets face it this position sensor is doing the job that Points would have done on a pre 70's car. A $5 set of points may have worn out more often but even an entire distributor wasnt as much as just this position sensor is.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:56 PM

To touch the crank postion sensor you have to get under the car is this sensor under the car or on the side of the head? if it is on the head it is the cam pos sensor not the crank and yes they both will get hot the crank sensor is put into the block so it will get as hot as the internals of the motor. as for Specifically the metal cover in the center of the unit, not nessecarily the almuminum housing? is this on the crank or cam pos sensor? if it is it was not ment to be there. or is the housing on the exhaust?
The crank sensor you mention and I have seen others mention, where is it located on the block? Near the alternator I think I saw in one thread. Whats its function, it isnt covered in my manual.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:56 PM

sorry i thought u were talking a 95 and up. my bad.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:57 PM

i will lokk in my hayns manuel on the 90.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:00 PM

the crank pos/angle sensor tells the motor where the crank is and how fast it is going thus contributing to the whole ignition system because it helps the computer control the motors spark many other things as well if it is bad it can cause the computer to think the car is dieing or dead and shuts down the system by an overload.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:24 PM

the crank pos/angle sensor tells the motor where the crank is and how fast it is going thus contributing to the whole ignition system because it helps the computer control the motors spark many other things as well if it is bad it can cause the computer to think the car is dieing or dead and shuts down the system by an overload.
Thats odd in my Haynes I am pretty sure(its at home) that it says the Camshaft/Crankshaft sensors are combined. I'll check again later when I get home.

Quick Reply: Stalls, Intermitient, Fuel Injection Relay Spastic