1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Stalls, Intermitient, Fuel Injection Relay Spastic

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Default RE: Stalls, Intermitient, Fuel Injection Relay Spastic

I buy new when it comes to electrical products whenever I can. But the cost on this item is just insane. I'm almost willing to bet (just not betting my ECU on it) that the Hyndai is 99% the same if not 100% other than some minor difference like a shift in the lingth of the cord etc. And the Hyundai is under $200..... That said I have found it chepaer at http://www.autosupplyco.com/index.htm where they have a remanfacturered unit for $248.55 which is getting closer to the area of sanity. Its amazing the pricing diversity. Advance Auto has one by beck arnley for $532!!! http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=762&ptset=A

When you have a $300 difference in the price of the same part that tells me someone is enjoying a huge markup.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 PM

Well curiosity finally got the best of me. When I got home tonight I removed the unit from my eclipse and disassembled it. What I found was the crankshaft position sensor is a relatively simple optical encoder. It functions not entirely unlike http://computer.howstuffworks.com/mouse2.htm

The disc in this encoder is keyed in a certain pattern, its the reading of this pattern that tells the computer when to fire and when to activate the injectors. The difference in the slots in this disc are likely the only difference between the unit in the Eclipse and the Hyundai. I may just for giggles try one of the Hyundai ones swapping the encoder disc from my eclipse. Who knows may work, may blow the EFI right off my block. If it does then I have an ecuse to buy a long block for $525 which will include this stupid @#$@# sensor.

Interestingly enough the Elantra and Eclipse share the same replacement Coil. The coil on a 90 eclipse is the same one used on the 92-95 elantra. Get the feeling Mitsubish dumped some of their old stock off on Hyundai [:-]

Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 PM

Well crud. Got in the car this morning and it wouldnt start. So after work I came home and checked the voltage on the leads to the crank sensor. Nothing, nada. So I am going to guess the computer died. I took it out and opened it for giggles. The largeish capcitor on the center of the board has leaked nearly all the way to the edge of the connector block.... So now I am off to find a Califonia emissions computer.... Wont find that in a salvage yard in Georgia.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:41 PM

I have a 95 eclipse rs. And the same thing keeps happening to me....i just replaced spark plugs ...plug wires....charged battery everything. It cranks up rite away runs good. Then sumtimes in the midst of driving the car just cuts off. Usually cranks back up rite away with no problem. Ne clue wut it could be?

Old 08-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Well finally got a new computer for my 90 and everything seems fine now. I've driven it several days with no stalls. I sent my computer to http://www.ecmtogo.com/ after reading up on the process and the company. When I removed my computer I opened the case and was able to see where one of those cheap #@#$ capacitors had leaked all over the circuit board. Upon recieving my unit they took a look at it and declared the damage to extensive to repair. So they sent me a replacement and I put it in after testing the ICM as they require to keep your warranty. It was a costly repair but at least I didnt have to pay the $1000 the dealer wants for an ECM/ECU.