1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

timeing belt went

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Default timeing belt went

i think and if so i am guessing that the 4g63's are interference motors right and if so what are the chances of my head being ok as in valves it happened tonight and i havent started to take it apart

Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned
Default RE: timeing belt went

What RPM was the car at when it happened?

Old 11-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

You won't be able to tell until you replace the belt and turn by hand. I hada Neon with an interference that the timing belt shredded cruising at 60 (Which should be around 3K RPM if I'm not mistaken) and it didn't bend a single valve. But I've heard of people bending every valve possible. When you go to do the belt turn the cam at LEAST a full revolution by hand and see if ALL the valves come ALL the way up. That's the only way you'll be able to be 100% sure. It'll require a valve cover gasket replacement but I'm guessing it was probably time for that anyways if the belt hasn't been done I'm doubting that gasket was done either.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:25 AM

i was gettin on it till after second went to 3rd then went to 4th about 3000 mabey a little lower and i just went out and i dunno if it makes a diff but both timing marks were at tdc one the front one was a little to the front but like 2 or 3 teeth

Old 11-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Test it anyways I'm telling you. you'll have to rotate both the crank and the cam to go the full revolutions but this isn't something you want to find out when the car's running so it can do MORE damage

Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 AM

there is no way though. .. Those valves had to hit. at least some of them. do yourself the favor and dont waiste the time putting the belt all the way on just to take it off again

Old 11-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

Take the head off and check it out.

I have a friend that has a 2g GST... and he had a bad set of cam gears that was causing him to break timing belts every couple months and he never bent one valve out of like 5 timing belt breaks lol.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Take the head off and check it out.

I have a friend that has a 2g GST... and he had a bad set of cam gears that was causing him to break timing belts every couple months and he never bent one valve out of like 5 timing belt breaks lol.
depends how it breaks though a slip well that is obvious. a stretch that too. buy shreaded on my Eclipse and destoyd the head if it snaps clean you have a chance and RPMs make a difference to

Old 11-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said that Neon everyone told me had an interference engine and it's been a daily driver for over 5 months now with NO problems whatsoever. The easiest way to check the valves without taking the head off is rotating the cam like I said. Check and make sure NONE of the valves come off their lifter at all (Check clearances).

Old 11-25-2006, 08:52 PM

I would bet they are hit. DSM's dont like timing to be off skipped or snapped. the thing I would be more worried about is not the valves but making sure you didnt crack a piston from vavles hitting.

Quick Reply: timeing belt went