1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Timing has slipped. how to check timing marks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007 | 11:43 AM
Default RE: Fixing to buy my first 1g. opinions needed

that price for that head is a little pricey[&:] i paid 90bux for a head but i got it from a junk yard and had it checked over by a machine shop and it was OK. that is what i would do if i were you, but it is up to you. and like racer said you always have a chance of bent valves when your timing slips.

Old 07-08-2007 | 08:16 PM

I'm wondering how timing "jumps" as well?

My 90 2.0 has no compression, and I've taken things apart, and the intake side, depending on which cylnider is at TDC? Posing another question, my "Haynes" manual is a bit vague, to say the least!
In it, it specifies, "the crank pulley timing notch should align at the "T" mark, along with the other pulleys aligning accordingly!
The cams, has an illustration, Ch. 2A-11, fig 8.15 illustrating the cam marks circled, and aligning themselves adjacent each other, the exhuast at 3:00 o'clock, the intake 9:00o'clock, and with the dowel pins near 12:00 o'clock!
Well, so far, as best I can determine I'm on #1 TDC, the crank pulley notch is not in line with the "T" mark, but, at 10 BTDC!
With the cam marks sitting at about 10-11:00 o'clock respectively, and or, the exhaust sitting 180 opposite of the intake! If the intake were to be at 9:00 o'clock.
I've hand cranked the engine multiple times to try to be sure of where #1TDC is and if all pullies align accordingly, and so far, it's looking as somehow, timing has in fact jumped.
The primary timing belt looks really good, almost new?
I'd like to know, if I remove the cam sprockets, etc. all relative to the correct timing, can it be done, and how to go about it?
What to be "SURE" of, what maybe able to turn into alignment independently if any?
There are multiple references of timing regarding the oil pump, cams, crank gears?
Bottom line, my two cams are not in the alignment of the illustration on above mentioned illustration!
The car ran fine for about 5K miles, 79,600 at purchase, got it smogged, then, it started pinging, drove for about 150miles, when it would no longer fire off and run!
Paid, $88 for a diagnosis, no compression, and the repair bill beyond what I'm willing to pay!
So, I'm in process of disassembly, and found, the intake side, three of four rocker positions are loose, the third tight, only when on its compression stroke!
I've been hand turning the engine to each and every cylinder to determine this! And, discovered that the cams, seem to be 180 out from each other, per the illustration!
Can they be loosened, rotated to meet the illustration, correct timing?
Otherwise, my repair has been stated to overhaul the engine, replace with a used one?
I currently have it dissassembled to the point I'm verifying the timing/TDC, before I remove the head completely! I only need to remove the intake manifold, cam positioner, or the intake side of things to have it off!
Who has some direct info to steer me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance![X(]

Old 07-09-2007 | 05:45 PM

to check the crank, there is a SMALL notch in the crank pulley and there is a part on the timing cover that shows where it is compared to the cams, its pretty easy, ive done it a million times, well not a million but you get it. are you looking on info on taking the head off?