2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Timing belt slipped off :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Default Timing belt slipped off :(

How are you all doing? Im new to this web site, I have 1999 mitsubishi eclipse RS, i know ****ty model but o well, the timing belt slipped off and my mechanic when that happens usually two or more of the valves are get bent is this correct?? What I was gonna try to do is replace the timing belt if that does not work then i was jus gonna buy a new cylinderhead, im also planing to convert it to turbo prob jus stock T3, if you could get back to me with any suggestions that would be great cuz im stuck : )

thanks,
shane

Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Default RE: Timing belt slipped off :(

ORIGINAL: masqwitz
the timing belt slipped off and my mechanic when that happens usually two or more of the valves are get bent is this correct??
Congratulations, you need head work. And its probally more than 2 valves.

ORIGINAL: masqwitz
im also planing to convert it to turbo prob just stock T3, if you could get back to me with any suggestions that would be great cuz im stuck : )

Horrible idea. Over costly and a pain in the ***.
Don't waste the money.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:30 PM

thanks for the info, so you think it would be worth ti to A: buy a used cylinder head and put it on B: find out which valves are bent and replace then or C: scrap it cuz its too much work?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Well what caused the belt to slip off? If theres a bigger problem at hand you could be looking at more than valves.

Dont waste all that money putting a turbo kit on a RS. Just sell the car and buy a gst or gsx. You will save money in the long run.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 PM

My guess, tensioner gave out on him relieving all belt tensioner and making it skip teeth ot slide.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 AM

the mechanic said it was the water pump that made it go out, but i don't think that has anything to do with it??

Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 AM

if the pulley gear on the water pump broke off, then yes.
But did he pull the timing cover off yet and see?
If not, then he has no idea.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM

if you reallly really want a turbo'd eclipse. i'd sell ur RS and just buy a gs-t or gsx. to swap the 4g63t into the RS is just an unthinkable amount of work and will end up costing apx the same price as a new car. and to turbo your car will cost you as much as a turbo'd eclipse as well if you do it right. trust me i know... i was one of the idiots that wanted to try to make my GS fast by turbo'ing it. i had a full engine bebuild kit for it and a full turbo it... w/ the deals i got i was about 1900-2100 into the build but once i realized what else i had to get (wideband, boost gauge, clutch, injectors, bov, tuning device, tune) i just said screw it. 2grand into it and i was only half way there.... for 4k you can get a used gst that needs aliil bit of help. hell i've seen running 2g GSX's for 4k.

since you'll have to take the head off to see the damage that was done to your valves and/or pistons (can actually crack pistons if you have it that far off) you might as well change the timing belt/water pump/tensioner. if you plan on doing the work yourself..... and you think you have the experience to pull the head apart than i'd say go that route b/c it will be cheaper. but if you don't think you know exactly what ur doin, i'd just buy a head. if ur having a shop do it.... well.... ur gonna get jewed either way.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM

sell it and get a different one. on my 95 eclipse the water pump gave out and water/coolant got on the timing belt causing it to slip an tearing a piston up and about 6 valves. i in turn bought a new motor from a 97 eclipse gs which is nocking really bad now and i dont know what is wrong

Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

i wouldnt bother buying another head. If you are gonna do the work then bring the head to a machine shop and have them look it over and repair it. But you could be looking at around $2k total to have this work completed at a shop.