1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Two questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Default Two questions...

Allright, I will admit, I'm new to mitsubishi's, and new to working on my own cars.

I bought a auto 1.8 1991, not really knowing what I was getting into. The car is fine, resonable power for it's size (been to 115 with it), great milage ,but now that I see trubos around...I want one. My eclipse's body is in great shape, and it has the flip headlights. The problems is I have had alot of little problems with the 1.8. The starter, alternator, o2 sensor, etc. I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not. I love the way in hadles, drives, and feels. I'd really love some more power.

So, question one, is there any cheap upgrades for the 1.8? Somehitng iI could do myself? Maybe cold air intake, etc.

Second, Could I swap in a 2.0 turbo or N/A ,and would I need a new transmisson/ is a manual conversion reasonable?

Old 01-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Default RE: Two questions...

ORIGINAL: Vegeance

Allright, I will admit, I'm new to mitsubishi's, and new to working on my own cars.

I bought a auto 1.8 1991, not really knowing what I was getting into. The car is fine, resonable power for it's size (been to 115 with it), great milage ,but now that I see trubos around...I want one. My eclipse's body is in great shape, and it has the flip headlights. The problems is I have had alot of little problems with the 1.8. The starter, alternator, o2 sensor, etc. I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not. I love the way in hadles, drives, and feels. I'd really love some more power.

So, question one, is there any cheap upgrades for the 1.8? Somehitng iI could do myself? Maybe cold air intake, etc.

Second, Could I swap in a 2.0 turbo or N/A ,and would I need a new transmisson/ is a manual conversion reasonable?

im not too familar with the 1g esp the 1.8, as for cheap bolt on power its really not ganna be anything you would notice in power from a CAI, Exhaust, ignition, clutch kit. If the 1g is anything like the 2g i dont think the 4g63 will swap in place of the 1.8. unless your car came with a n/a 4g63 but that im not sure of, somthing to look into.All 1g and or 2g's handle really really well so if you really want more power i would just sell it as is n cut your loses before dumping a bunch of money in it for prevenative maintanence

Old 01-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

All right first thing the manual swap. If you have an auto keep it that way unless you have ALOT of $ and time to do it. And even then it MAY not work quite right. I've heard of people doing the swap but it's always expensive and a pain. There's another thread here somewhere where I've listed all the things that I've found out about doing it and I decided to keep my 1G an auto. Now as for a swap enginewise... You'll have to check the motor mounts and how things line up from a 1.8 to a 2.0. You MAY be able to get one in there but it will at the least require the trans, the wiring harness, the PCM, the ECU, and of course the engine to all be swapped. Again a possible project if you have time and $. If going that route though I'd say build the engine up out of the car then put it in with a turbo. Again you MUST check the motor mounts and trans mounts to see how the 2 are bolted up. (Find someone with a 2.0 4G63 power plant and get them side by side and compare). Quick fairly inexpensive upgrades for your current engine I would say look into a CAI (Cold Air Intake) and a cat back exhaust system. Look at a 2.5-2.75" exhaust unless you're going with a turbo as well then you'll want to look into possibly 3.0" exhaust piping. Hopefully this helps and the other guys can give you some ideas as well.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:13 AM

if you live in texas i have a N/A 4g63 motor with an automatic trans, i'll sell to you if you want it, it runs great , im selling it cuz i just rolled my eclipse in a ditch and i need money for a new car, i have computers and everything you need., just let me know