1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

update on my mess

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: update on my mess

check out the sticky in the DIY section. I posted how to get the codes out without a reader

Old 12-06-2006, 02:34 AM

i got evrything straight, turbo timer works, ran ok, now when i rev it over 5,000 RPM #3 cyl dies and dont come back for quite a while, plus it loses compression on that cylinder, i investigated to find a lifter pumping up too far and holding an exhaust valve open, once you run it at 3,000 RPM for a minute the cylinder comes back again, the lifter was barely letting any oil out, something clogged it up i assume and it was pumping up too far and keeping the valve open, not always good on the cam or valve - so i get to go change just that one and see how it goes, my turbo timer was wired all *** backwards but works just fine now, so thats a plus
thanks for evryones input helping me out through this disaster of a japanese pile of crap
it runs good, now the fun begins

Old 12-07-2006, 03:41 PM

well i ran into an issue of blowing the dipstick out and the valve cover gasket out under boost, the little breather vent on the side of the valve cover that goes into the inlet pipe before th turbo vents a small amount of blowby at idle, under boost it dosnt vent anything at all, that doesnt seem right for one, could boost be going from the intake manifold through the hose / pcv valve on the back of the valve cover and boosting the crankcase?, it cant have that much blowby, it does really well on a compression test and doesnt smoke one bit or use any oil, leakdown test it holds much longer than i expected out of a used engine, so it must be pressurizing the crankcase through a pcv or breather - maybe because i put the valve cover from the old engine it dont have check valves???.... bad check vavle somehwere maybe?? bad PCV valve?? i dont know, still figuring out the turbo hose routing mess
i also had my blubbering rich problem return , here the stock BOV is mashe down on the top ( i heard it was a cheap mod to hold higher boost - i bought the car this way) but it was sticking open and venting off all the boost then would snap shut, for a temporary fix i just took out the BOV and im being carefull about backing off the throttle too quick so the surge doesnt beat on the turbo too bad untill i get a new BOV and i turned the boost down to 10psi for now - i had it up to 20 psi and it ran like a red retarded raped ape & at full boost it still hung around 12-13 on the a/f meter and the EGT never got much over 800-900 degrees F on a long pull
i hate that annoying loud sound of venting to the atmosphere - any suggestions on a BOV? i dont like spending alot of money on a stupid little valve, i think theyre overpriced...