1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

what Psi

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Default what Psi

What Psi would a stock 1g normally fuel cut at? I have my stock beater car (early 92 GSX)i can get to about 14 psi before it fuel cuts and it always runs rich at part throttle. The plugs are black and it always reeks. I turned the MAF calibration screw all the way out , replaced the o2 sensor and it cleared up the richfuel problem but i get fuel cut somewhere between 12-15 psi depending if its raining or not. My Talon i could go up to 23 before it fuel cut on the stock MAF. Could my MAf just be going bad? This car ran great at 18 psi on the poor little 14b (never went lean) untill i sealed up the huge tear in the pipe from the MAF to the turbo. then it went to horriblyrich, running like *** and early fuel cut. i reset the ECU after fixing evrything and now it runs like complete ****. I get frustrated trying to keep 2 DSM's running so i igured i'd make a post for some opinions. My talon is too farmodded to compare it much with the eclipse. I know the stock guage isnt acurate at all but it indicates the MAF working or not, no matter what it says 10 psi under boost, weather all the way down to 5or nearly 20 psi.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: what Psi

you shouldnt hit fuel cut if your still on the stock turbo. You should easily be able to go to around 18-20 without any problems. maybe a bad fuel filter or something. Or the fuel pump. But my guess would be somewhere is the fuel delivery or the MAS.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Well ive got great fuel pressure all the way to redline and then some, stock 14b, stock exhaust with no cat and some coffee can lookin thing.checked it for boost leaks up to 30 psi and found nothing even slight. I was guessing mass airflow sensor is probly whacked out. when it rains it hits fuel cut at 12 psi, if not it'll make it to 16 sometimes. If i start out from low RPM and go WOT and just wait for the turbo it'll cut early at like 10 psi.if i pull it up to 4500 then mash it it wont cut till 15 in 3rd gear. Temperature really makes a big difference with it. At part throttleunder load at 5-8 psi it stumbles & surges and huffs black smoke again.I'm not getting a CEL except o2 sensor when ikeep it at part throttle where its stumbling for a long time. Of course that will throw the o2 out of normal range and cause a code.
I been trying to find the stock MAF from my talon but dont know where i put it.
I wasnt aware a 14b couldnt move enough air to hit fuel cut. Makes me wonder about my buddie's laser.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

no no what i meant was you should hit fuel cut at that boost with a 14b. Its definetly the richness thats causing the spark plug fouling. But im trying to think of other things that would cause richness. my first thought would have been a leak but you said it was fine. Where did you hook up the tester?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:56 PM

i put the deal i made up on the inlet of the turbo so i can check evrything for leaks, ive had alot of problems with the J pipe leaking before. Youll laugh at what i used but it was free parts. a connector hose that i found in the parts box, put the old fuel filter inside of that then screwed an air coupler into the end of the filter,then clapms the hose to the turbo.its not even the right thread but a few wraps of teflon tape sealed it up and it didnt blow out at 30 psi...you mean 18-20 Psi with a 14b should be about average for fuel cut. got ya. it was 18-20 psi when the hose between the MAF and turbo had a huge tear and the damn thing actually ran good like that. . now the more i drive it the lower it seems to cut and the worse its running. I wish there was an easy way to ****can the MAF alltogether that didnt cost $1,000 or more, i hate those damn things. i'm half tempted to use this car to come up with my own setup. i just got back from a drive and now its lean at idle to the point it has a miss, rich below 10 psi, then leans out suddenly and fuel cuts over 12 psi. the stock boost guage is at 5-7 when its rich, then it flips up to a hair over 7 then it cuts. my autometer is saying 12 psi is the dead spot, i'm just using the stock one as a reference to the MAF going goofy. Thats my only guess.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 PM

oh yea and since this car is an old pile of ****, if you just hold it WFO it goes to about 5500 and starts pouring black smoke out then it fuel cuts after about 20 seconds of holding it there when it starts to gain a little boost
ill never be able to blow it up like that.[&:]
this thing is a complete heap of **** and falling apart but its a good winter beater as much as i hate to see a 4 bolt /6 bolt car go through this hell its about to see, i'd like it to run good just so i can show up some ricers this summer with an old ratty car