2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

420a to 4g63... i know, i know....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Default 420a to 4g63... i know, i know....

before everyone jumps on me about using the search option, i have looked into this on here, and every answer is it cant be done (reasonably), and is left at that. However, i feel this is inaccurate. i am currently in japan, and in my 3 years here i have been under the hoods of alot of evo's. i really see no reason as to why a 4g63 from an evo 4 (oriented the same as the 420a) couldnt be put into my 98 rs. granted, i understand that the tranny, would have to be swapped (i want to go from my auto to a manual anyhow) along with the motor mounts, the ecu/harness, and the drive line. my eclipse is already paid for (currently in storage), and i have the money to put into it. i understand that this isnt going to be a quick project, and i have another vehicle to drive in the meantime. what i would really like is a concrete answer as to why it cant be done, and what else would need to be done... as for the cost thing, and it being more economical to just buy a gsx, i plan on doing all (or at least most) of the work myself, to include the welding that will need to be done. and correct me if im wrong, but the drive line to the rear should all just bolt in with minimal fabrication, right? also i plan on getting a donor gsx (either wrecked or blown up) to pull alot of parts from. any input is appreciated, but please dont just give me the "it cant be done" answer.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:54 PM

anything can be done with enough money and time, but in the long run it really isn't worth it dude, the evo in the long run would be a lot cheaper, not to mention if you some how did get all of this together i couldn't even begin to fathom the amount of problems you'll run into once you get it running, i know you don't want to hear this but a gst or gsx would be much better, same motor the 4g63 just older and you can build the gst/gsx motor just as bad *** as you could the evo. but as for all of this im not 100% sure but im almost positive you cant make and rs or gs or gst awd with out some serious modification, it really isn't worth it when you can get all of this by buying it for cheaper than you can make it, and with what you talking about doing assuming you have the time and money, you might as well forget the gsx donor and just use an eclipse shell with all the evo goodies engine tranny differentials so on and so forth if your gonna go though this much trouble and this much money just go all out. but seriously, if i was you and had the kind of money to throw away on a project like this id just go ahead and buy the gsx or an evo.