2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

97 Eclipse spyder died.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Default 97 Eclipse spyder died.....

This is my first post here.This site has helped me solve a lot of problems with my Eclipse...I now have a problem I can't seem to specificly find in a search.I have a 97 spyder with a 4 cylinder.I drive it every day and have had all the usual problems with it.Now it has decided to just die.......I took it on a short trip to pick up my daughter (70 mi round trip)got home,took some things inside,came back out and it wouldn't turn over....no noises except for the fuel pump and the click of the idle solinoid under the hood.....nothing....I turned all the lights on and turned the key.All the dash lights stayed on and didn't dim,nor did the headlights.The radio lights did go out,but that was all.plus the brake light stayed dimly lit like when I had the alt problem..(now has a mitsi alt).....All wires are connected and I am getting power to everything....I am baffeled.....Any ideas on this would be great.......

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Default update

update on my post....After I posted,I went out to try to start the car...It started right up....I drove it about 2 miles,came home and shut it off.....same thing,nothing........really baffeled now....

Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM

When you turned the key it did not start and none of the lights dimmed, that would suggest to me that the starter is not drawing any current or else the lights would dim.
How good are you at diagnosing electrical issues and do you have a schematic to be able to do this?
If it is a manual transmission, (to be on the safe side I would recommend that you put the manual trans in neutral and block the wheels when doing any testing) the power from the ignition switch (when in the start position) flows to the starter relay which then goes to the clutch pedal position switch, which is grounded when the clutch pedal is depressed to complete the circuit to energize the relay to energize the magnetic switch to engage the starter. I would first check to see if the ignition switch is supplying voltage to the starter relay when you turn it to “start”. It could be an ignition switch that is intermittent. If you get voltage to the relay, see if there is voltage to the clutch position switch also. It could be the relay that is going or the clutch position switch is going or needs to be adjusted. It could also be magnetic switch on the starter or the starter relay contacts themselves, but I doubt the latter of these.
If it is an automatic trans, power flows from the ignition switch to the park/neutral switch and then to magnetic switch to engage the starter. It could be the AT shift linkage is sometimes not fully engaging the park/neutral position switch and needs to be adjusted.
So, ignition switch, starter relay, clutch position pedal switch, park/neutral switch, magnetic switch ( which some people call the starter solenoid) on the starter, or the starter itself.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Did you ever find what was wrong as I seem to have the same problem.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 PM

so your drove your car for a while? the engine warm up? shut the engine off and you try to turn it On and it won't start again? then the engine cools down and it start's again? am I right? if you say Yes then it's the crank position sensor.

Last edited by JayKellz; 06-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 PM

I just check the date right now and boy I'm sure he either sold the car of fixed the problem