2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Another Non Starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Default Another Non Starter

Yea, the title pretty much says it. I have a 97 Eclipse GS and it doesnt wanna run worth a ****. I dont even know where to start. It cranks over but takes forever to get running. I just now got it running after it hadnt started for over a week and it took me 20 minutes. I had to give it a jump because the battery was dying too. And to top it all off I can't drive it once it finally does start because I think the thermostat isnt opening which means no coolant to engine, and the temp gauge stays maxed out.

About 1.5 months ago, I put new plugs and wireson it, along with a new intake, and it ran awesome, started up first thing every time. Until a heater hose came loose, dumping all the coolant the engine had and overheating the hell out of it. Me and my dad fixed it,or we thought we did. Two days later it did it again and it overheated again, but this time we actually fixed it for good. But ever since then it is a hard start and runs hot all the time. My dad says I could have blown a headgasket when it overheated and thats why its so hard to start? Or maybe its not gettinga hot enough spark from the coil? Or even just that the battery is screwed and not giving enough power to it. I dont know, I have no idea what to do. Any help??

Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Default RE: Another Non Starter

You said it right there man, you're head gasket is shot.
The coolant/oil mix overheated the engine and blew the gasket.

Its not an easy fix, but can be done in a weekends time if you or your dad is mechanically inclined.
Just remember to torque everything properly.