2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

can someone clear things up ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Default can someone clear things up ?

theres a few things that wikipedia and google / ebay isnt explaining as im trying to teach myself these little need to know ideas. and im still trying to find someone with a digital camera so i can upload a couple pictures of my ride.

let me give a small detail.
i bought a 99 gsx from this guy a few minutes from my house. he says he buys and resells cars. he sold it for 2.8k thinking it was a regular eclipse. (the resale value on kbb.com was almost 7k.)

the car has 121,000 miles. i know 100% that this car wont last long. im using it daily driving almost 30 minutes to work and back.

when the car does decide to give, im planning to put another engine in there. i've been reading countless threads and articles about dsm's and i learned one thing ....

i need a life.

but thats beside the point ... being i have a 99gsx, the motor is a 4g correct? is that a 6 bolt or a 7 bolt? most sites that sell motors sell 1g motors, will 1g motors fit in 2g's? why do i wake up with back pain in the morning? crank walks are what? and what is this rumor about transmissions suck on these cars i keep hearing?

im probably gonna put pictures up as soon as i can..

Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Default RE: can someone clear things up ?

The motor is a 1st generation variant. Meaning that it's a variant of the first 4g63. This motor was used in the EVO 1-3, Galant VR4, 1G Eclipse+variants, 2G Eclipse+variants. It's the 4th variant, yes.....but the motors are basically the same between the EVO 1-3 and 2G Eclipse and as the GVR4 and 1G are basically the same. The EVOs 4-9 use a second generation 4g63.

1G motors will fit the engine bay without issues, but the engine mounts are different where the 1G uses 3 mounts and the 2G uses 4. This is using the motor and tranny btw.
You have a 7 bolt. 90-92.5 1st gen Eclipses have 6 bolts the rest are 7 bolts (in a nut shell).
Crankwalk... http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Crankwalk
Just the facts and why I hate it when folks automatically cry "crankwalk".
Any car can crankwalk, but Mitsubishi Eclipses, Plymouth Lasers, and Eagle Talons with a 7-bolt motor are notorious for this problem. No recall was ever released as the problem was said to be isolated to a bad batch of cranks, which represented a fraction of the produced cars. Various theories of why crankwalk occurs and what years are most suseptible exist, but none are proven. General consenus is poor oil flow is one cause, and later model years seem to suffer less.
There's nothing wrong with the trannys in the 4g63 motored cars....
...and your back pain is all in your mind...

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 AM

why do i have back pain in the mourning??? i cant believe you just asked that questions on a car forum lol

Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 AM

lol, maybe your car needs new suspension?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 AM

thanks for the info silver ...
i read in a forum that mitsubishi swaps are alot cheaper than honda and nissans.
when i used to talk on honda forums ... this one guy said "you just walked into a whole world of trouble ... goodluck". i still havent come across what he meant, BUT hey ... i like my vehicle.

as for the backpain ... i just felt like throwing in the backpain thing for ****s and giggles.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

well the later year 2g's were actually alot less known to crankwalk than earlier. So thats a start. The thing with mitsubishi is, we dont do engine swaps like all the honda and nissan guys. They have a bunch of engines to choose from, and swap around with. But mitsubishi basically has relied on one platform, the 4g63 engine. So there is no need for any engine swaps. Its already a really good engine. They can handle around 400-450 hp on the stock block. Which would basically be a 20g turbo setup. They are really easy to work on and mod. They only had the one big flaw, which i dont care what other people say, crankwalk is something that exists and happens. I have seen alot of cases to know it to be true. And i am sticking with the Magnus Motorsports theory on it since they had one of the best backed theories. If you want more info on it then go to thier website. But with the 99 i really wouldnt worry about it too much.

And this engine will last you. If by chance it doesnt then go with a 6-bolt swap. You can find that in our FAQ's. or also on magnus.

Oh and HOLY **** $2800 for a 99gsx is amazing. That car would go for 8k easily

Old 05-11-2007, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

Oh and HOLY **** $2800 for a 99gsx is amazing. That car would go for 8k easily

whats funny is thats my exact reaction when i saw the vehicle. i looked at it, and the sticker said "turbo awd $3200".
i thought for a second .. "i have never seen an awd stock turbo'd eclipse. this guy probably invested in it then broke something then decided to sell it".

amazingly when he was describing the vehicle he said he's been online and valued the car to be almost 4grand. and was willing to bring it down to 2.8 if i had the cash in the next 24 hours. i said ... DEEEEAAAALLLL.

when im done restoring it ... i might sell it to its highest value. then move on to the 350z or evo ... still a small questionable decision.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

man that really is a deal and a half. Good for you on finding that.