2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Crankwalk

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Default Crankwalk

Is there any realistic hope of fixing this problem or am i just better of just droping a new engine in it with a 6 bolt

Old 11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Crankwalk

I know this is long but it is a great article and they explain a method that they believe solves the problem while still using a 7 bolt block. http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/crankwalk.htm

Old 11-13-2006, 04:49 PM

keep in mind that no method is COMPLETELY guaranteed! there are so many theories it's rediculous. it really depends on the kind of budget you are on. if you had some extra money laying around i'd say go with the 6 bolt and a swap kit. when i had my 99 GSX i kept the 7 bolt in there and just ran it into the ground but on the side i was building a 6 bolt to drop in there when it did take a dirt nap. that's what i'd suggest for anybody.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Unless you've already got crankwalk....wait, what is it that you're asking? Crankwalk is an overplayed word. 7 bolt motored cars have made high power. Crankwalk is something that happens when the motor is neglected more so than when the motor is kept up.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 PM

Well the owner befor me neglected to tell me that the engine was BRAND NEW like never used new and he never got around to driving it enough for the break in and i drove the **** out of it as soon as i got it as would anyone with a new car. So my friends at school who are redic with cars tell me its probably crankwalk. But i wanted you get some other opinions from other people who might have had this problem there slef. The company that but in a the new engine has a warenty on it do you think they would cover Crankwalk?

Im really pretty much lost at waht to do. I had the car 3 days and its been broken longer then working

Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 PM

If you had crankwalk, you would notice noises in the engine bay while or after making a left turn. After making a left hand turn, your clutch would stay on the floor after you pressed it.
Unless your buddies have a 4g63 motored DSM, don't listen to them. I would suggest googling "crankwalk". TheE put up a good link, it's a good read, I would suggest reading that too. I bet you just blew some couplers off or there's a boost leak.
Why don't you post up what issues you're having, and we can better tell if you do have crankwalk, we would be able to help you better than guys that own Honda Civics and have no clue about 4g63s

Old 11-13-2006, 10:52 PM

Okay this is EXACTLY what it sounds like

When i turn on the car it sounds like one cylinder is hitting metal on metal and we all know what that horrible sound sounds like.
Also the idle is really really low and stalls everynow and then
I have to driven it since the sound start because i know from past experience it will only make things worse using it more.
Also when i drove it the last time i had the pedel FLOORED and NOTHING happened the RPM's remained at theere current speed then i let of the accelerator and the car stalled and i drove it off the highway and into a parkign lot and thats where is sits now.
I know for a fact there is a boost leak but is that capable of making these sounds. If so im am in major luck because i havea T25 Garrett turbo sitting next to me right now thats BRAND new.
Also when i made a left turn i really did not notice any sounds because i was kind of dodging traffic lol
But the sound is horrible that it makes and i have not driven it since trying to save pretty much wahts left of it in hoep to repair it.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM

I have *not* driven it since the sound start because i know from past experience it will only make things worse using it more.

Fixed that mistake in typing...sorry

Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 PM

I would get in contact with the previous owner to have him contact the shop. I drove my motor like I would normally drive it and went into boost several times without issues while breaking in my motor. Everyone has their own way of breaking in a motor, that's mine. I didn't, however, rev it to redline, because of it still being on "breakin" time.
Knock is never good to hear from a freshly rebuilt motor, nor any motor for that matter. It's good that you're not driving the car around because, yes, it can get worse. I would focus more on the knocking sound over the loss of power. They can go hand in hand anyway. The timing belt could have jumped timing, it could be anything. Yes, a boost leak can do what you're asking...a big leak, not a small one, but not the knocking/pinging noise.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 PM

Oaky well i will get in contact with the shop and see what they say. But its going to be a hassle because i live Ocean City maryland and the shop is in Baltimore. Not farmilar with MD its about 150-200 miles away and i need to find a trailer that well handle it lol. But thats not going to stop me from getting to the shop. I just hope to god they can fix it. But thank you for your help. Im pretty sure that i did not redline either because i knew how bad it is for it i only went to 5000-5500 MAX i know that much

Quick Reply: Crankwalk