2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

do or not to do is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Default do or not to do is the question?

i recently came across a 97 eagle talon turbo,the dude wants to sell it to me for 1500.00. it starts right up and runs good, but i did notice that there is a bad oil spot on the turbo area,and also i heard that these cars are always breaking down and having problems..so should i buy it or not????

Old 03-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Default RE: do or not to do is the question?

How many miles are on it? Do you know were that oil came from, if not investigate, and yes they do have some problems if not properly maintained and im guessing he didnt do that considering their is oil on it. Give some more info on the car and its condition.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 PM

any car can berak down alot if you dont matain it... except for hondas they are like the zombi living dead cars.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:38 PM

the car has 98,000 miles on it , the body and interior are in good condition,but it could use a paint job...as far as knowing where the oil came from idk, but i will INVESTIGATE and post it up asap,but as far as this is it worth it????

Old 03-30-2006, 11:58 PM

Most likely its the vavle cover(hopefully) which is just a gasket away from not leaking. 98K is not bad at all for the price which confuses me. Their has to be something wrong with it for it to be that low. Call some car shops around your area and ask them if you can get a free inspection or if you can get a cheap inspection(not meaning they wont really look). They will let you know what needs to be fixed but also their ganna tell you what might need to be fixed in awhile which they will tell you it needs to be fixed right now so be carefull of that. My favorite shop has always been Geralds atleast in this area. I know a good bit about engines and when i have to go their for something they always hook me up and dont bull****, they will let you know if and when you might need something. I ended up having some problems on the road and stoped by their and checked out my engine and one of my coolant hoses was leaking and they just gave me free hose/antifreeze and let me use their tools real quick. Then they called me 2 weeks later to see if everything is going good. They are real profesional and most likely will give you a free inspection.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:32 AM

And Research the word crankwalk in refference to these cars so you know all about that and its symptoms other wise youll be out of a motor and have a dead car if it is walking

Old 03-31-2006, 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: eclipseonjuice

also their ganna tell you what might need to be fixed in awhile
timming belt + hardwear, plugs, wires, fuel filter... thats assuming that everything else is okay.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:34 PM

thanks for the help guys... i did end up buying the talon, but before i did,i took yalls advice and had it looked at by a local mechanic, and it was the valve cover...so far so good, i had the valve cover replaced, a tune up, wires,plugs,fuel filter,air filter k&n of course, oil change. so as far as it running????perfect!!!! but now to hp!!!!! any suggestions?????

Old 04-04-2006, 06:00 PM

First this is start simple you cannot just jump into alot a hp all at once preperations need to be done before your huge HP items are installed. first off get a Intake, Turboback exhaust, boost gauge, MBC or EBC, Injectors, fuel pump..... Stuff like this mainly exhaust intake boost gauge and MBC or EBC before a new turbo tubular headers boar/stroke blocks.....

Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

First and foremost get the BOOST GUAGE!!! This cannot be stressed enough!! NEVER trust your factory guage. EVER! After the boost guage get a BOV (The stock one sucks hardcore) get one that recircs not vents to atmosphere. Then an MBC that way you can control your boost levels manually. NOW time to start looking into bigger #'s. First I'd suggest a bigger exhaust pipe 3" or 2.75" whatever. Remember less backpressure means more can flow out which in turn spins the turbo faster. Thus cutting your spool up time as well as increasing the HP. After that look into an intake system. Do the exhaust first though. Remember what good is it to take deep breaths if you can't let it out? (Take a deep breath yourself and purse your lips allowing only a VERY small amount of air back out now push that air out. That's how your engine will feel if you get the intake first. It won't harm the engine but you'll get greater effect with the exhaust first then intake).

Now start thinking in terms of what you want to do next. Bigger turbo sound like fun? Start with the fuel system. Start with a fuel pump. Then a fuel pressure regulator. Install BOTH of those at the SAME TIME! Bigger fuel pump will likely overpower your STOCK FPR in no time. Then go ahead and get the bigger injectors and a piggyback FCU more commonly refered to as a standalone fuel management system. THEN you are ready to go big and get a better turbo. Since you'll be pulling the turbo why not save the $ and get the tubular exhaust at the same time? You'll be halfway there when you pull the exhaust anyways and what's a little longer to wait for the bigger turbo to be installed? I'd also wait until you had the turbo and exhaust header to install the injectors and the management system. That way you can get EVERYTHING done at once then take a trip to a Dyno to have the car tuned properly.

Those are my basic thoughts on the upgrade timeline. I'm currently in a rebuild status with my Quest but that's essentially the route I'll be taking for my Conquest. I already have the boost guage and am looking into a fuel pump and FPR right now. (Just started a new job so once the $ starts then I'll be able to do something).