2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

EGT? used for tuning? and some prices...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Default EGT? used for tuning? and some prices...

Alright guys, well, i am planning on fuel mods as most of you guys know.

1. Well lets start with, i think i am gonna sell my friend my evo3 turbo, and gettin another one with 34mm wg and i think i might port it myself. Well, a buddy of mine had one along with the evo manifold and EGT.His manifold is already egt tapped too. So he said he would sell me his Evo3 big 16g, Evo manifold, and EGT for $550. What do you guys think? The turbo has about 5k on it.

2. Well, besides the other part, i have a question on the EGT! I guess thats why i started this thread... Can i use that egt instead of a wideband? I am pretty much getting that egt for about $35 only! He's a cool guy and lives in my area. Actually just joined this forum. Pats90gsx (something like that). Well anyway, what do you guys think about the egt? I am tight on money, and am needing fuel mods. So that i would be ready once i get the injectors and pump...

Old 02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Default RE: EGT? used for tuning? and some prices...

That's an average price for the turbo alone, so with the mani and gauge, I'd say that it's a good deal.

As for the EGT...
That's how folks tuned back in the day, when a wideband was for dyno days only. Get it in there, keep note of where you EGT sits so that once you get your fuel upgrades, you'll know what to do.
....so, yes, you can tune with an EGT.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

But its better to tune with a Wideband right?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM

Well, is it worth getting both? Or one or the other should be good?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Oe is just as good for tuning as the other. It doesnt really matter. Actually the EGT is a bit better because then you really know when you have a problem. For example you could be running a good A/F ratio, but soemthing else might be thrown off and you could be running a high EGT. Which youll start getting problems. There are alot of people that actually swear by the EGT guage and dont even like the Wideband. Personally i this both are just as good. So to answer, yes the EGT is good enough by itself. You can just tune it to the temp. And that seems like a pretty good price to me since the EGT guage is already half that brand new. As long as the turbo doesnt have shaft play that is

Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 AM

I'll tell you if both is good and if one or the other is more accurate. I've got a wideband one now and it tells me when I'm running lean (or it used to, not anymore, buwahahaha...lol) and when it did, my knock meter would go up at the same time, so, I'd say that it's pretty accurate (time wise). I've got an EGT waiting to be installed too. An EGT seems slower to react to changes, so sutble changes *aren't* seen on an EGT. A wideband will show even a tiny change in ratio. Plus, an EGT won't show when you're running an 11.1 air/fuel ratio during WOT.
In the end, they both serve the same purpose...to keep the car out of the lean temps.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 AM

im sorry. but whats an EGT? and what does WOT stand for again?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 AM

EGT - Exhaust Gas Temp
WOT - Wide Open Throttle

I guess after saying what I said, a wideband can be used to fine tune where an EGT can be used to get your car running good.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

oh and simms if you ever get confused on stuff like that then go here
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_83436/tm.htm

and if its not there let us know and we can add it

Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 AM

actually john a wideband is better than an EGT. I wideband is tuning real time the EGT is not. the EGT gauge is not getting instant readings it take a few seconds to heat the prob to move the therm. a wideband is always reading in turoe real time. you can make more mistakes with the EGT. I would get both and make sure if you have one tuned the other is still reading an acceptable amount. think about it, if your AFR are rich where they should be the feul is cooling it and the EGTs will be where they should be