2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

engine longevity & other idiosyncracies

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Default engine longevity & other idiosyncracies

Hey guys,
I've put 118K mis on my '95 GSX and love it. Never *really* launched it and only red-lined it ~15Xs. Only hit >100 ~15Xs. Mainly just love the strong acceleration, AWD and cornering and want to keep it running well (esp since Mitsu killed the AWD). Couple of basic questions:
1) I perform routine oil changes and all 30/60/90mi service, incl changing timing belt @50K and 100K. Never had ANY engine/drivetrain problems. Is there any reason I shouldn't expect to get 2-300K mis with good maintenance at my climate? Engine/drivetrain longevity is my priority, but would like a little extra power, but don't want to compromise engine life nor spend $$$. (Not a racer)
2) The driverside window doesn't work. Is it likely the power motor? Plus, the seal leaks, is this a hassle to replace?
3) The sunroof motor no longer works and now leaks. Guess I need to replace it all?? Any idea on cost?
4) The door locks and hatch are difficult to operate with a key. What is best to spray in the lock mechanism to reduce oxidation and gunk build-up?
5) The hatch no longer stays up (esp in cold weather); what can I do to restore hydraulics in the arms?

Sorry for the multiple ques, but thought they'd be easy to answer since they're basic.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Default RE: engine longevity & other idiosyncracies

Keep it... It would be hard to find another one to replace it... Everything that you said is going wrong with your car aren't pricey to fix but a pain in the butt... The best thing you could do is take it in to a shop and get a price quote to fix everything... As far as hp gains without a lot of money... You could put a cold air intake on, but you won't feel much of a change... Anything to really feel a change is gonna be $500+ without compromising the lifetime of the car...

Old 11-27-2005, 03:30 PM

Appreciate the input; I plan to hang onto it. Might even replace the engine if/when necessary. Never been happier with a car. 10y old, RELIABLE, performs, still looks nice, no rust, does great in rain and snow; it's a great car and still solid. But, need to replace the struts. City driving has loosened them up (not surprising aft 10y/118K). For basic things (tune-ups, timing belt), I've used the dealership, but they're pricey. I know their lead mechanic and think he'd work on it at home on the side for me. If not, would you have any general reluctance going to a foreign import garage for these repairs? Obviously, I realize you're unfamiliar with those in my area, so I'd have to do some research, but what concerns me is they would likely lack Mitsu-specific skills & specs. Thoughts? Thanks again.

Old 11-27-2005, 04:28 PM

as far as the life of the motor if the car is not beat up you could get that many miles out of it. as far as more power one thing that needs to be understood more power means stuff breaks easier. as far as more power for cheep try getting a MBC and a boost gage and turn the boost up this dose put more strian on the motor and may cause it not to last as long as it should maby 5-10k less. other than that is is stuff that makes more power but no strain like getting a itake exhaust upper and lower IC pipes. Mor conductive spark plugs and wires will make it more efficant helping thses other addons let the motor breath is what you need to do.
Door seals are cake work simple pull old ones off put nw ones on. the door motor on a scale fro 1-10 maby a 3.
sunroof motor is about a 5 and seals are easy as well.
see if you get a key made or try the spare there just may be wear on the key if that failes spray the inside of the lock where the key goes with some wd-40
As for the hatch i think all dsm have that issue and new hydraulic arms are the answer.

Old 11-27-2005, 04:38 PM

i replaced my rear hatch struts about a month ago. i had the same problem with the trunk not staying open. i believe i paid $40-50 for both of them at discount auto, and it took me less then 30 mins to replace them. there are only 4 bolts on each strut. if you have any more specific questions about the struts then shoot.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:08 PM

get435 couldnt say it any better... If you want your motor and the rest of your car to last longer stay away from the big hp gains, unless your ready to stick some $ into it... But if your planning on keeping it a long time, just stick a grand a year in proformance parts, and you should have a pretty slick eclipse...