2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

engine question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Default RE: engine question

ORIGINAL: sk8dudety

you're off to a good start, and yea i would totally go with the 6-bolt, that way you have no worries about crankwalk... also i believe they might be a bit easier to time? as far as gettin 350 heres a basic list: Evo3 16G turbo, bigger injectors, fuel pump, intake, exhaust, ported exhaust manifold and o2 housing, and downpipe, and you should be good, add stuff guys if im missin anything (and yes i know the ported exhaust mani and o2 housing isn't necessary, but it helps
I really hate the guy's that post all the hear-say, aka most of the 2g guys on here. More then likely he will need to port the exh. mani and o2 because if he upgrades the exhaust like you told him he'll get boost creep on his new motor. You also didn't say anything about fuel-management.

Look, if you're wanting that much horsepower, the MOST important thing would be to do maintenance. It might not seem like a lot, but it is. Trust me. Those old parts wear a lot quicker when you've got hundreds of horsepower over stock. If you want your car to last, be clean, and respected, rebuild it right - the first time. Replace all the worn out stuff: Axles, brakes, coolant lines, etc. In the mean time you can research what you'll need, and save money for the motor. You'll learn more, and waste less money because you'll know exactly what you'll need when it comes time to swap.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: nje95gst

i have heard the samething about crankwalk with automatics and thats y i was just wondering if it was worth it to even buy the 6 bolt or to just rebuild the 7 bolt that i have. pushing 350 is pretty much perfect for me. i dont think 500 would be typical since my baby is a daily driver. basically im just try to figure out where to start. so far the only thing that i have done is the suspension (kyb agx with tien s techs). if that 6 block mentioned earlier is still up for grabs, ill totally buy it, well depending on price obviously. as for what i need, to tell you guys the truth im lost. like i said earlier, pushing 350 is perfect, i just dunno what i need in order to make this happen. i already plan to get a greddy evo 2 exhaust and type rs bov, as well the injen short ram air intake system. any suggestions on where i can go on from here and what i should go out and buy would help me out a lot.
People say an automatic can crank walk. Some will say no. Its all going to depend on who you ask. I have searched alot and never come across anyone that has crank walked a automatic. I also asked the people that say autos can crank walk to show me proof and nothing.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: TSG59_Steve

you're off to a good start, and yea i would totally go with the 6-bolt, that way you have no worries about crankwalk... also i believe they might be a bit easier to time? as far as gettin 350 heres a basic list: Evo3 16G turbo, bigger injectors, fuel pump, intake, exhaust, ported exhaust manifold and o2 housing, and downpipe, and you should be good, add stuff guys if im missin anything (and yes i know the ported exhaust mani and o2 housing isn't necessary, but it helps
I really hate the guy's that post all the hear-say, aka most of the 2g guys on here. More then likely he will need to port the exh. mani and o2 because if he upgrades the exhaust like you told him he'll get boost creep on his new motor. You also didn't say anything about fuel-management.

Look, if you're wanting that much horsepower, the MOST important thing would be to do maintenance. It might not seem like a lot, but it is. Trust me. Those old parts wear a lot quicker when you've got hundreds of horsepower over stock. If you want your car to last, be clean, and respected, rebuild it right - the first time. Replace all the worn out stuff: Axles, brakes, coolant lines, etc. In the mean time you can research what you'll need, and save money for the motor. You'll learn more, and waste less money because you'll know exactly what you'll need when it comes time to swap.
you must of missed the parts where i said "do research on all the parts", and "add stuff if i'm missing anything", and also "he doesn't HAVE to port the o2 and mani, but it's definitely a good idea"... and as far as maintenance i figured that was an implied thing. you cant exactly go upgrading your motor if you have parts that are broken or worn out. So im not sure what part of what anybody said was hear-say...

Old 10-14-2007, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: TSG59_Steve

you must of missed the parts where i said "do research on all the parts", and "add stuff if i'm missing anything", and also "he doesn't HAVE to port the o2 and mani, but it's definitely a good idea"... and as far as maintenance i figured that was an implied thing. you cant exactly go upgrading your motor if you have parts that are broken or worn out. So im not sure what part of what anybody said was hear-say...
1. Timing is easier? I don't know if you're talking about base timing or timing but either way it's the same if not easier on a 7 bolt.
2. You didn't say anything about maintenance, it's not something that's just implied. People go out and throw turbo's on their car without even thinking about spark plugs, wires, hoses, belts, harmonic balancer. So yes, you can go upgrading your motor if you have worn parts.
3. Have you got 350whp on a 16g?? I don't think you have, that's HEAR-SAY.
4. I wasn't necessarily even pointing you out specifically, a lot of people on this site think they can give advice. Suggesting strokers to someone who doesn't have a clue for example. If he has to ask, he's not to that point yet.And it's not even that I have a problem with THEM,it'sjust that they'll happily give suggestions about things they've never done.If I haven't done something myself or had first hand experience with it, I stay out of it.