2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Engine shuts off after 20 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Default Engine shuts off after 20 miles

It is a ’97 Mitsubishi eclipse GS. I recently had a manual transmission put in it but the Engine Speed Sensor in the transmission is not hooked up to the computer. Anyway, the car drives fine for about 15-20 miles. The temperature gauge gets to just under halfway, where it’s supposed to be. Then after about 10 minutes the engine shuts off and the rpms drop. If I keep the gas pedal down it sputters and tries to accelerate but to no avail. If I take my foot off the gas the engine dies and stays dead. As soon as it dies the first time I push in the clutch and it idles/coasts just fine. I pull over and turn the car off for a few minutes then it turns on just fine. I drive for another few miles and it turns off again. If I keep the rpms low I can go farther than if I don’t. The strange thing is that the temperature gauge never goes above half.

I have already replaced the spark plugs and the ECU and the same problem occurs. I have heard that it might be a stuck thermometer, or a problem in the ignition system. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this and how to go about fixing it?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 AM

having basically the same issue, im going to replace the coil pack and see if the coil is over heating and shutting down along with replacing the fuel filter the filter needs replacing anyways. already put new wires and plugs in it last month. so i'll put it here if it fixes it or not so at least there is an idea here for an answer to an old question.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:35 AM
Talking coil pack fixed issue.

well, the new msd coil pack fixed the issue, took it out yesterday and drove it like I stole it and she proformed as expected, even raced two mustangs and made them feel like they bought ponies...lol .. gotta love it..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 AM

I fixed mine a while back but never got the chance to post it here. It was my Crank position sensor. put a new one in and ran fine. now I'm having random misfires that are causing stalling. time to research that