2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

exhaust for 98 eclipse gst

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:41 AM
Default exhaust for 98 eclipse gst

Hey guys, this is my first post, so I am hoping I can get some good feedback from the experienced tuners on here. I have a 98 eclipse gst. Mods are intake, bov, plugs/wires, lowered, and boost is around 15psi give or take. The exhaust was completely stock, so I wanted to open it up and get a decent tone at high rpm's. I've had success with cutting out the stock muffler's on most of my cars and stickin a glass pack in there and weld a nice tip on the back. They usually sound great and its a cheap job for parts and labour. Unfortunately I had my eclipse done yesturday and I don't like the sound at all. its fine at low rpm's but when im at WOT I cant really explain the sound. The best way I can describe it is alot of air coming out but no sound. When I lay off the gas at high rpm's and the cars deccelerating it sounds ok but still real quiet. The shop welded the glass pack in backwards hoping to make it a little louder but its way to quiet with no real distinguishable tone. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get a nice tone with good performance without having to do a turbo back system and spend a tone of money I'm all ear's. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, Barry Horman

Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Default RE: exhaust for 98 eclipse gst

well the least amount your going to spend to get some performance out of your car is apx 400. there are tons of companies and systems out there, if you are looking for something that won't wake the neighbors however at high RPM's definately makes it's statment i would go with a GReddy or EVO exhaust, they are very deep and throaty, if its not quite loud enough for you can stick a downpipe on there to open it up (recommended anyways) and a high flow cat. Or you can just go w/ the next loudest exhaust which i believe is Apexi, after that, they basically are all pretty loud, if you ARE looking for something to let people know you are coming from 3 miles away i'd go with HAHN, they use Thermal Research and Devlopment. paired with a downpipe and HFC this exhuast is very loud (it's what i had on my 99 GS) hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: exhaust for 98 eclipse gst

well i would have never done that on as turbo car in the first place. If you dont have the money for a turbo back system then just get a catback instead. Make sure you get the 3" piping system too. There are alot of threads on this site that say the best types to get so im not going to go into all the detail