2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

fuel pump testing

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Default fuel pump testing

i have reason to believe my fuel pump died. i was driving along, when my engine died [still had power].

no 'whirring' sound in on position. cannot start.

relays are fine, already checked with ohmeter.

it seems that the power to the fuel pump ain't getting there... at least according to the ohmeter.

so... how would i go about connecting 12v battery directly to the fuel pump to check if it comes on? haynes manual was not very helpful. i have the wires and everything under the seat right in front of me, but i cant figure out where to hook power up to.

i hear about re-wiring power to the fuel pump, is that because this crap burns up all the time? =/

is there even a fuse for the fuel pump anywhere to begin with???

if there is any additional troubleshooting i might try, please do mention it. you may need to explain component locations to me, since i am still amatuer.

thank you!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned
Default RE: fuel pump testing

By finding the positive and negative terminals for the fuel pump. Why not simply remove it and test it outside of the car? As far as where to hook it up EXACTLY, I am unable to tell you.

The fuel pump re-wire is for aftermarket application, and its simply to make the flow of current more stable. For example, it so when you turn on your signal, the fuel pump doesn't change tone as much, signifying a drop in voltage.

Yes there is a fuse for the fuel system. Look on the fuse box under the hood and you will see it.

You can tell if you are getting fuel by removing the fuel line going to the fuel rail, and then turn on the ignition. The fuel pump is supposed to prime, if you get no fuel, then you know its either not working, or no power is getting to it. If its not working then you need to either remove the fuel pump and test externally, or test the voltage going to it.