2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Gas mileage improvement

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gas mileage improvement

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius
As for getting better gas mileage at a higher boost pressure? I think it's absolutely possible. Depending on how you drive and if you're trying to push limits. If you're driving conservatively and not trying to push the car I bet he would get a better gas mileage. Just a matter of finding the best boost pressure to be running for the octane fuel he's burning.
Sang that is the same no matter what car your talking about. But raising boost is not gonna change gas mileage because if you run the car slowly and not boost it alot how is that different than if it was set to 10psi.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 PM

shouldnt a CAI gain you like 5-6 hp? that and an exhaust, anything to help the air flow better

Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 AM

I use to get about 26-30 with my manual GS that I had.. Now I get anywhere from 18-30 with my GST.. 30 on the interstate, and 18 boosting through town

Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 AM

okay, someone calling bs again?? geeze man... i said that is what i got stock... about 27...k??? then i put on all of my mods...

intake, +k&n filter
manifold, turbo,dumppipe
exhaust
and all my other stuff and then i set the boost to 15psi...

NOW, since i put all those mods on i have driven about 50,000 miles across country.... i wanted to travel the USA =)... now on my trip, my average speed being about 70-75 i would get about 32mpg... YES 32 mpg! driving to my gf house... about 1 1/2 hrs away.... 3 times a week... i would do between 85 and 95 mph and i would get about 29-30 mpg... now you can keep calling bs on me or you can just take it how it is and accept that. i usually was able to run my car between 400-450miles per tank of gas... and when i fill up i usually put in about 14 gallons when it is COMPLETELY empty... do the math... sometimes i get more miles out of it... sometimes i get less if i drive faster.

now i will say, her is the fun part =).. when i am hard on the gas... ie 0- the posted speed asap... and relatively fast acceleration and hard drivin i will get beetween 15-20 mpg... under harder acceleration.. if i drive it har i usually get around 250-300 miles out of a tank of gas... and i mean like driving it on back roads and in the mountains... for fun or just quick street races around town... or just cuz i love the sound of my car!

now if ya wanna call bs go ahead... just cuz ya dont think its possible doesnt mean i am lying... just means that you learned something new today, just like you prolly don't believe that when i put my foot to the floor at 1500 rpm in 4th gear.. by the time i get to 1700 rpm you can hear the turbo starting to spool... but its a fact, if ya want come drive around with me sometime... you can see it... and then if ya want i will run a full tank of gas with you and you can see my fuel consumption.

if you would like prrof of increasing gas mileage with power... llisten to this... one of the tuner mags my brother reads... i looked at a comparo of different sports cars that they suped up... no details, but moral of story... there was a wrx sti.. 2.5 turbo... that was pushing between 450 and 500hp.. dsont remember... and on the freeway test it got 42 mpg!!! call bs on that if ya want or just believe it.

that is all i have to say, you can call me a liar or just know, i have driven my car now 57,000 miles in the year and a half that i have owned it and... i know the kinda mileage it has and every little thing it has wrong with it or what i have fixed on it... i think i know my car. thanks... quit calling BS on me. why the f*** would i lie on here? to be cool?? no i am being informational and trying to help! open it up so it doesnt have to work so hard to get there and you should get better gas mileage... let it breath! uncork it a little.

ENGINEER: just wondering but do you have something against me? cuz i thought you were cool and all and very helpful until ya started harping on me! all i am trying to do is help and inform with what seemingly little knowledge i have. other then every bit of work done on my car was by me... not a mechanic... and i aspire to be a mechanic one day... i like to help and to learn... not harp on the new kid...

Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 AM

remember i said after i put on my mods and let it breath a little easier i got better gas mileage. i did not state anywhere that simply raising the boost raised my gas mileage. read my original post a little more thoroughly man...

Old 01-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

wasnt jumping all over you. It was the way you worded it. Cuz you said after putting on mods and turning up the boost you got better mileage. So one can only assume you were stating that turning up boost will increase gas mileage. Thats why i wrote that. But I now see what your saying and sure highway only you could get that. But the way sang wrote it was definetly wrong.