2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HELP! 95 Eclipse Mystery O-rings and Motor Mount Madness

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 AM
Exclamation 95 Eclipse Mystery O-rings and Motor Mount Madness - RESOLVED

95 Eclipse 420a - automatic transmission - 78k miles

Rebuilding my engine (didn't start out that way but...that's where it's gone).....

Need to identify some o-rings that came with my gasket kits. Not sure where they go Front cam seal sets I bought (fel-pro TCS 45961) each came with a press in seal and a large blue o-ring. Question.... where do the blue o-rings go? I see a front cam seal for each cam but no place for a big blue o-ring. Is the blue o-ring for the rear cam sensor seal? Its pouring outside so I cant check now but I think the o-ring is too big for that.

******* UPDATE 05/02/12 I took the cam sensor off and the blue o-ring IS the cam sensor seal. The fel pro gasket set is labeled FRONT Camshaft seal but come with that rear seal also. Since theres only one cam sensor and you need 2 kits...u'll end up with one extra cam sensor 0-ring.

MORE Unidentified o-rings.... My crankshaft front seal set (fel-pro TCS 45962) comes with a press in crankshaft seal PLUS 3 rubber rings. 2 thin o-rings and a 3rd rubber seal. From my service manual diagram I see where one of the 3 might go...assuming I remove the oil pump which I might do just to re-seal it since its almost 17yrs old but where do the other 2 o-rings go? (SEE PHOTO BELOW)

**UPDATE** ALL O-RINGS IDENTIFIED after talking to FelPro. Crank seal - Oil Pump to block o-ring - Oil pump pickup - oil filter adapter to block

MOTOR MOUNT MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! MAD MAD MAD I TELL YOU!!!!

I ordered all 4 mounts from Rockauto. The front mount was correct...but unfortunately that was the only one! Part was Anchor 8670.

The Passenger side motor mount I ordered was anchor 9198. It fits the engine aluminum bracket but the hole in the motor mounts rubber donut is 3/8" lower than original. I re-ordered a different part. This time a DEA4601 which clearly showed a photo of the bolt in the center of the donut...BUT... In the box....another 9198 and again...3/8" lower bolt hole than stock! DEA says its boxed correctly! So the photo on their site (which Rock auto uses too) doesn't match what you're getting.

Drivers side (trans) mount. Beck Arnley part number 104-1902 and the bolt hole was also....drum roll....3/8" lower than stock! Not to mention the casting on that mount isnt great either. Lot's of what appears to be porosity holes that occured during the cooling process. Guess quality wise it will have to do...but regarding the hole being in the wrong location...it doesn't make sense to send it back bcus the only alternative is one made by Anchor...and while it looks nicer in the photo on Rock Auto (albeit double the price) the hole location is wrong on that one too.

The rear trans mount they sent is wrong too. I ordered DEA part number 4604 listed for a 420a Eclipse w/auto trans. I received a DEA box labeled 4604 but inside was a part stickered 6662a which ended up being for a manual transmission...not automatic. The photos on rockauto are messed up too. The photo they show for the manual transmission mount is actually the auto mount! They say the photos are right and the part is boxed correctly...but I know what I removed from the car and it's different. I'm the original owner and its never been changed. Differences are...the manual trans mount has a filled rubber donut with a bolt hole in the center - while the auto transmission mount has a dog bone rubber insert and a bolt hole in the center. The manual trans version they sent fits but Im a little concerned the filled rubber center may transmit more vibration than the original mount. Mitsubishi made two different style mounts for a reason ...just as they had a reason for mounting the engine at the height they did and not 3/8" lower like the incorrect Left and right mounts I'm getting also.

In addition... that wrong rear mount I received had a manufacturing defect! A nice V shaped split on top (SEE PHOTO BELOW) which will eventually travel to the edge and the mount will fail. Rock Auto had DEA drop ship me another mount. The replacement was the same wrong mount with similar damage but a much smaller V split. It should be ok tho as long as it doesn't transmit vibrations since its the wrong mount.

I looked into prothane inserts but they're not a good choice. The bolt holes are centered but from what I've read on a few forums those who have tried them on daily drivers removed them and went back to rubber due to too much vibration.

***UPDATE 5/02/12 - I have come up with a solution to correct the issue of motor mount holes being 3/8 too low. On the drivers side-I've oblonged the holes in the motor mount tabs on the inner fender to lower them and welded the upper part of the holes to make them a circle again. Passenger side-i made some spacers that go between the aluminum bracket and engine mount to lower the engine back to stock height.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

photos below of *seals /o-rings in question... (*again - locations have since been identified)
*Manufacturing defect in the rear mount. Replacement was much better but still had some damage. *3/8 difference in drivers trans mount (pass side not shown)
*Casting of drivers trans mount.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE*
(I've since welded the V defect in the rear (manual trans) mount they sent and with the engine up and running I've definitely noticed vibration being transmitted through the car as I feared. I'm going to have to find the correct AUTO trans mount).

Attached Thumbnails HELP! 95 Eclipse Mystery O-rings and Motor Mount Madness-fel-pro-cam-seal-set-tcs45961-photo.jpg   HELP! 95 Eclipse Mystery O-rings and Motor Mount Madness-fel-pro-crank-seal-set-tcs45962-photo.jpg   HELP! 95 Eclipse Mystery O-rings and Motor Mount Madness-dsc00302-driver-mount-comparo-rsz-483x251.jpg   HELP! 95 Eclipse Mystery O-rings and Motor Mount Madness-dsc00316-ba-casting-pits2-483x445.jpg   HELP! 95 Eclipse Mystery O-rings and Motor Mount Madness-dsc00346-dea-mfg-defect-rsz-483x432.jpg  

Last edited by Eclipse440; 01-06-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: update
Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 PM

Guess not many people frequenting this forum or have no answer but i solved the issues on my own and edited the original post in case anyone looks for this topic via search engine in the future.

Updates above included

**** ALL O-RINGS IDENTIFIED after talking to FelPro and adjustments made to vehicle to correct for wrong motor mount heights. Vibration present due to the fact I was sent the wrong rear mount twice. Will find and install correct auto mount.

Last edited by Eclipse440; 01-06-2014 at 11:18 AM.