2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HELP ME. Head help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Default HELP ME. Head help

Im still swapping my damn 6-bolt in and here is a list of problems that i have ran into

New Turbo ($400 from a friend)
New Clutch ($129 from XTD)
New Flywheel ($241 Xact from Slowboy Racing)
New Alternator ($150 from local shop)
New Mass Air Flow Sensor ($90 from local shop)
New Cam Angle Wiring Harness ( $75 from Magnus Motorsports)
New Oil Pump ($200 From local shop)
New Ground Wire ($ dont know dont care)
New Engine Mounts ($45)
Remaping Most Sensors ( $150 in Labor)
Shipping for everything ( at LEAST $250)
I think i forgot a few things but its whatever. Heres where the **** gets tricky.

We ran it to the stop sign down the road, maximum 150 yards away and back, ran like a champ, pulled in the shop to do one last check. We go to turn in back on, and we all know that sound of Slipping Timing Belt Teeth? well we heard it so we shut it of ASAP. We pull the powerstering pump out of the way, and the Cam Gear Cover plastic BS out of the way to see what we got and we can not get a single CAM to move. We cut off the timing belt and take a wrench to the Exhaust CAM and it spun like it should and then we went to the inlet side.2 of uspushed as hard as we could and it would not budge.

What the hell could it be to just seize like that. To much spring tention and snaped a the cam? Bent a valve and jammed it? I have no idea what happened. I called my girlfriends uncle shop and they said its abotu unheard of.

Any input is nice.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Default RE: HELP ME. Head help

have you removed the valve cover? what does the inside look like? Try spinning the crank from the bottom to free any spun valves.Timming belt is essential, and could be fatal if put on wrong.

Let me know how it goes

Gus

Old 03-27-2007, 08:01 PM

well the belts useless now, they cut it

Old 03-27-2007, 08:14 PM

yeah why did u guys cut the belt, thats like $60 down the drain

Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM

The belt was screwed anyways it literally was spinning on a gear that was not spunning.

It turns out that two of the 4 bolts on the cam gear came loose and grabbed the actuall engine and would not allow it to spin.

Damage Report:
Swapped the cam gear from my old 7bolt on and retimed it. Retimed it again. Took everything off again. Retimed it one more time and finally got it right. Started the car and there was a littl whining sound but there was still compression and no knocks or ticks of any kind ( that we could hear ). He started on my car around 9 this morning and stopped around 615 witch is totally cool with me because thats a hell of a long time.

Tomorrow were going to look over everything (again) test drive it, see how it goes and then maybe take it home.

This swap is banking on 3 months.

P.S im selling the car the second im getting it back so if your around maryland and want a 6bolt with all that new stuff give me a call. PM for my number

Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 AM

That blows. So your car is at a shop now?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM

ummm, sounds to me like a valve is touching a piston, and thats why it wont move.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: soundcolor

ummm, sounds to me like a valve is touching a piston, and thats why it wont move.
No offense but wrong.

It was the cam gear like i said.

Today i went over adn we put it all back together again and went for a pretty day strong run and there was a line of oil behind us going into the shop and we all just laughed because we KNEW something was going to break. so we put it on the lift and there is OIL EVERYWHERE. Its either coming from the crank case seal or oil seal. I dont understand how so many things can go wrong with this car. Me and the owner of the shop are creating a detailed list of EVERYTHING we have done to get this car on the road and then taking it to another shop and seeing what there EST is. Were thinking $7500-$8000 so far.

I hate to rain on anyones perade but this swap sucks and in no way, shape, or form would i recomaned this swap in my life. but hey its prob just bad luck for me who knows lol. Break my phone, Break my car, loose my girlfriend, ****ty grades. Its whatever