2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HELP please - Eclipse GS 95 dies when idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Default HELP please - Eclipse GS 95 dies when idle

I'm a newbie here and did a little exploring, but thought it would be best to post a new topic. Please excuse me - I'm not good with car terminology (or dealing w/ cars in general).

Background
I have a 5pd 95 Eclipse GS and it has a l04k miles. It's been an issue since we've gotten it back from my mother-in-law since the beginning of last year (yes, had to switch cars bc i had twins). Anycase, I've had a major tune up 2 months ago, had the battery go dead on us twice. Switched it last year and found out they gave us the wrong battery & have been recharging it until recently went back and they gave us the correct type of battery. All throughout this ordeal, my eclipse would start up and while i'm warmint it up, it would die. Then it'd start off fine again (sometimes it would die a second time). Drives fine for a couple of days and then while i'm idle at a light or anywhere, it'd shut off. Car seems to work fine after we have the battery changed. As you can tell, I haven't driven my eclipse lately for fear of it shutting off while i'm driving. Also, before my last battery change, the car seemed to want to turn off when i went over bumps, some light would turn on and i'd rev it to keep it going...probably loose connection? (doesn't seem to do it anymore, now it's just shutting off when in idle). Everything is stock (i think, bought used in 99) w/ a audio system.

I'd love to drive my car with confidence, but I'm at my wit's end trying to figure what's up with my car. I haven't done much in terms of finding a solution (I was hoping it was just in my head). Sorry, I run off in tangents. What I'm looking at is my car shuts off when it's idle, i can usually start it back right away. My boyfriend told me that as long as it's idle and if it's still moving, he can usually start it back up once he revs it. (He's driven it more than I have over the last month). I'm strapped with cash and I can't afford to keep going to the mechanics to have them tell me it's one thing or that it's all in my ehad because they can't figure it out. Plus, if you can tell me how much it would usually cost to have the labor/parts done for anything yout hink it might be? Any info or help anyone can provide is most appreciated. THANKS!

Old 04-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Default RE: HELP please - Eclipse GS 95 dies when idle

my car did the same thing i pulled a cam pos sensor and a crank pos sensor error. if fixed some of the problem i am taking it to the dealer to get it fully fixed but i would take it to autozone or somwhere like that to see if you can pull a error code off the computer than look into what that code can be they will do the test for free and give ya the codes i will post what was wrong with my car as soon as i get it to the dealer.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah see if Autozone or someone can pull the error code from the comp but it MAY also be a small set screw on the intake (I can't remember what it's called but changing it while idling I've seen cars go from a really rough idle to running fine)

Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 AM

might be a maf problem or fuel pump

Old 04-25-2005, 07:52 PM

common problems w/ mitsu's cars.... had the same experience b-4, i installed a aftermarket fuel press. and my eclipse stalled during test run....when we got home, we figure we need to register the system thru computer. so we immediatly disconnect the battery and let it stand for about 7-10 mins. then we connect it and run it...so far the only problem is the engine stall for about 5 seconds, but the engine came alive after. and now the engine is runnin good w/ out stallin, we figure its the computer recognizing old and new patrs.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: wicked_outlander

common problems w/ mitsu's cars.... had the same experience b-4, i installed a aftermarket fuel press. and my eclipse stalled during test run....when we got home, we figure we need to register the system thru computer. so we immediatly disconnect the battery and let it stand for about 7-10 mins. then we connect it and run it...so far the only problem is the engine stall for about 5 seconds, but the engine came alive after. and now the engine is runnin good w/ out stallin, we figure its the computer recognizing old and new patrs.
the only differance i have is i have removed the batt post and i am having problems still after replacing the cam pos sensor. i got the check light to go out but now it still dies. Just a question dose and eclipse "prime" the motor before starting? i hear a sound when the key is turned and it sounds like the cars injection system. when it dies it wont start unless i hear that sound than it starts just fine anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Have you done a voltage drop test? Have you checked your alternator

Old 05-02-2005, 08:15 PM

You might also wanna check your TPS (throttle position sensor) It is known to be a weakness. If you take your car to a dealer it won`t cost you a lot to have them check it out for error codes