2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

How Hard to remove 4g63 Engine

Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM

I have a 1997 Eclipse GST I need to pull the engine to rebuild, or if possible take head off without pulling engine?
I have no experience working on front wheel drive cars, or Eclipse, I am experienced working on rear wheel drive cars.
Where can I find information, step by step manual to follow to pull the engine in my eclipse?
I have a Chiltons manual but it lacks alot of valuable to me information, Motor mounts etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated. If I could take head off without pulling engine would be very helpful, but if pulling the motor is not to hard I will do that and completely rebuild the engine

Old 05-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Whats wrong w/ the engine?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Default 1997 Eclipse

The engine does not have power, and is smoking. I want to re ring the engine and have valves checked and ground. The engine had a rod knocking when I bought the car and I was able to replace the rod bearing, easy to get to, easy to take off oil pan and get to bearings, wish it was that easy to get head off and re ring engine. The engine does not have that many miles, and engine is clean. The car sat for 3 years. I beleive if I could get the head off and do valves and re ring the engine would be ok. I have replaced all rod and main bearings.
I hope to find a step by step manual if one exists? for taking out engine, with or without transmission.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 PM

depending on your ability as a mechanic it has its up and downs just do not separate the block from the tranny if you do it will create a lot of unforseen problems im still having issues with my six bolt swap related to trying to pull the block thru the top it wont fit don't try it start of by taking the top electrical connections, and trans electrical connections then vacuum connections numbering them as you go so you know where they go when you put it all back together. then do the lower electrical connections start with the intake to the turbo and the intercooler to throttle body tube then take the alternator and power steering connections loose. then remove radiator fans and radiator out then drop the exhaust, turbo and header. Now take the wheels off and remove all parts required to remove the the axles this includes wheel nuts lower ball joints and lower steering knuckles,and the lower strut bolts. once you have the axles ready to come out DO NOT HIT THE AXLES DIRECTLY OR YOU WILL DISTORT THE THREADS use a pry bar to remove the axles from the trans tou will get some leakage from the trans be ready . now support the engine with a leveler on a hoist. then start taking the lower mounts(front and back) and the support bar on the bottom of the engine loose. then remove the upper engine mount and upper trans mount. when this is finished lower the engine and trans to the ground. This is more of a guideline for a more specific explanation to do this get a chiltons or haynes but i believe i covered most of it

Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM

hmmm... ^^^ first step... drain everything... tranny, radiator, engine oil... Then remove everything that is not a part of the engine (intercooler piping, radiator hoses, electrical connectors (definitely label them)).. you can pull the axles out of the tranny, just be prepared to replace the axle seals once you pull the axles out. The only thing that needs to stay connected is the upper control arms (A-arms) Just unbolt the two lower control arms... leave the axle in the hub and pull it out of the tranny. Drop the tranny (remember to remove the slave cylinder if it is standard) pull the engine out of the top and you;re good to go.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM

also, in case you are wondering... connect the engine hoist to an intake manifold bolt (or stud) and the exhaust manifold stud.... that will the best and safest way to lift the engine.