2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Installing new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Default Installing new exhaust

I bought a Greddy EVO2 catback exhaust system for my 97 Eclipse RS/GS and was wondering if you guys had any tips for an quick (not necessarily QUICK, but you know what I mean) and easy (ish.. easy-ish guys) install.. I think my main problem will be making crawl space under the car, but from what I hear .. it's just a matter of 1) unbolt stock pipes and remove, 2) hang new pipes and bolt on.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Default RE: Installing new exhaust

Yea, is that simple. (To take it off) The hard part comes, when you be putting it back on.

Anyone, agree?

Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 PM

My cousin just told me a mechanic should weld the brackets at the cat convertor or I'll have an exhaust leak... ?? I always heard it was just a bolt on process and what not..

Old 12-29-2005, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: mysterio2099

My cousin just told me a mechanic should weld the brackets at the cat convertor or I'll have an exhaust leak... ?? I always heard it was just a bolt on process and what not..
you shouldnt have to weld, a cat back is bolt on. unless your ehaust is rusted together and never going to come apart then you will need someone to cut it off and weld the new one on

Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 AM

all the hangers sould have came pre welded on the new exhaust as well like they said if the bolts are not rusted through than you will be fine oh and regarless try to get new bolts if they didnt come in the exhaust fro between all joints.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:23 AM

sorry to say it but your cousin doesn't know what he is talking about. there is a reason that gaskets were invented. it is a piece of material that goes between two pieces of metal to allow them to bolt together without leaking.

PS....you have a stock one that you can reuse

Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 AM

Yeah, it game with gaskets and bolts ... so if I can get the stock one off (not rusted bolts) I should be able to just bolt on the new one correct?

(and yes, the new exhaust came with pre-welded hangers and whatnot.. she's ready to go)

Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM

Yeah, it game with gaskets and bolts ... so if I can get the stock one off (not rusted bolts) I should be able to just bolt on the new one correct?

(and yes, the new exhaust came with pre-welded hangers and whatnot.. she's ready to go)
correct. it is a direct bolt on. it shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes to do it if you don't have any rusted bolts.

BTW, watch out when you unbolt the stock exhaust. i know a couple of guys who didn't suspend the pipes and when they unbolted the last bolt, the pipes hit them in the head.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:52 AM

Get a can of pb penetrating fluid the cayt is going to be a pain in the ***. The problem is that the cayt has studs in it not bolts so you cant replace the bolts but only the nuts. I have a 98 rs and I had to drill out the studs in the cayts because they were so rusted that they wouldent come off(which took 3 hours because its carbon steel). Its a common problem with our cars. On overboost.com they did a greddy hedder and cayt back on a 420a and ended up just cutting everything off and replacing it all becuase it was a rusted mess. Besids that its easy just pray that you can get the nuts off and reuse them, I deff dont recomend drilling out the holes. I went though a **** load of drill bits.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM

lol... wow, that really sucks.. i know if it's as heavy as my new one I'd probably go in a comma for a week.

Ok... so how about raising the car... I haven't lowered my car, but eclipses are already pretty low.. will jacking up the back end and maybe using jack-stands lift the car high enough to work? Also, say I do find some rusted bolts... any tips as to how I should go about removing them?

Quick Reply: Installing new exhaust