2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Installing new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Default RE: Installing new exhaust

ORIGINAL: slow420a

HOLY ****.... does anyone read what I post? For the third time THE CAYT HAS STUDS BUILT INTO IT, its made from carbon steel, to drill it out will take forever! You cant jb weld that, it gets way to hot and just wont hold.

Dude no offense but you lack the know how to do this your self, some people are just mechanically inclined... others not so much.

The heat sheild is bull**** that the manifacture puts on to 1 protect the pipe and 2 to disapate heat. Its not nessicary, Your caprpet wont melt your car wont blow up.
even if it is carbon steel it sould not take you 2-3 hrs to drill it or you got some ****y bits or are just using a big bit which is not the way you do it.

the sheild on the body of the car not on the exhaust is made to disapate heat from the floorboards if you dont think it can caus issues i will take a few pics of where the back seat and a small section of carpet melted to the floor not as in caught on fire as in goodluck getting them off.

oh and the o2 sensor has loctight on it.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:04 PM

the sheild on the body of the car not on the exhaust is made to disapate heat from the floorboards if you dont think it can caus issues i will take a few pics of where the back seat and a small section of carpet melted to the floor not as in caught on fire as in goodluck getting them off.
so your sayin the heat shield on the actual exhaust pipe is not necessary then???

Old 01-08-2006, 06:05 PM

Yes, that what he is saying. There's a heat shield above the pipe on the car body if you take a look... that keeps it from heating the floorboard... the heatsinks on the exhaust pipe is just to help disipate heat from the pipe.. it doesn't deal with the body of the car.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: mysterio2099

I know I don't have the knowledge otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread in the first place... so saying that was pretty pointless. I don't have the tools... as I have recently found out, hahahaha... and mechanically inclined has nothing to do with it.. its a freakin' nut dude... a metal doghnut with threads in the center... I mean.. it's very complex, I know, but c'mon now

Anyways, I already said I was taking it to a shop and I can't do it myself.. I don't really see why it was necessary to make your last post.
Whats complex is rebuilding a transaxel or making a fuel system, not an exaust, I was able to do mine and for someone who can do theirs make smart comments like a its just a nut?... what happend to the youth I grew up with?

I was also trying to get the point about the cayt across in the last post, some people use the search function to fuiger things out instead of asking redundent questions over and over again, and i would hate to see someone make the same mistakes that I made.

Get435...

It took so long becuase I didn't want to chop the other side off and make it worse than it already was. So the cayt was stuck under the car and I couldent use a press, and I was limited to a small space to work with under the car. I guess you never drilled carbon steel before, if you think its a 5 min job go get a pice of 1/4 inch carbon steel, a hand full of titanium drill bits(which was what i was using), a power drill, and a can of wd-40. If you can make 2 1/2 holes in the metal in under 1 hour I will give you my car.

For the heat sheild I was talking about the shrouding that goes around the pipe, not the crap thats stuck to the under body of the car.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:30 PM

Whats complex is rebuilding a transaxel or making a fuel system, not an exaust, I was able to do mine and for someone who can do theirs make smart comments like a its just a nut?... what happend to the youth I grew up with?
I was just refering to you calling me mechanically inclined... This thread is about a bolt on exhaust... the main thing I was having problems with was removing nuts.. so if this makes me mechanically declined I am sorry I said anything. lol. I just think you're in a bit of a bashing mood.

As for the other comments.. such as drilling and whatnot.. that wasn't me.. I really think this thread should be closed.. it's finished now.. Where's an Admin/Mod when you need one.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Na actually I am having a pretty good night and the rest of the post was clearly directed to get435

Old 01-08-2006, 10:56 PM

Then I am having a bad night... I dunno.. lets stop arguing, pretty stupid now.. and yeah, I missed the part where you directed it to get435, sorry man. But seriously, someone close this damn thread, haha

Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry guys I was off for a few days. Out bein a traitor . Picked me up yet ANOTHER car (Am I a damn gearhead or what?? Hehehehehe.) Just acquired a '97 Hyundai accent GT. It's going to be my project for a while now (The trans is sitting in the trunk, it needs a taillight, and the windshield is SHATTERED. It also needs a new hood and other small things.) But the Mod is back now

Old 01-09-2006, 03:40 PM

alright i will not continue to argue about somthing that is right and wrong from both ends.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM

!!!!!!!!CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started it, its over, please, shut the damn thing down.