2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Installing new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Default RE: Installing new exhaust

i can't weld dude... lol, I don't even have a garage.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Dude JB weld who needs a welder

Old 01-04-2006, 05:28 PM

I have no clue what JB weld is... lol, I'm a noob with this stuff man, seriously.. why do you think I started this marathon thread? (I'm actually surprised it's gone on for so long, haha)

Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 AM

you do not have to put new studs in a simple bolt will work and considering that the studs are a little shanked it would be pointless to drill and weld studs in nothing loctight cant do. dont worry about it if you get a good drill bit it shouldnt take too long and rememeber when drilling somthing like this out start witha very small bit than a medium bit and than the large bit but it might be worth the time to just buy a new cat they are fairly cheep 60-70 bucks. but that is up to you.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 AM

I thought you would have realized I'm cheap... and why would I pay 60-70 bucks for a new cat when I can have the entire exhaust professionally installed for 50-75 bucks? lol.

I checked it out last night and the studs are not made onto the cat so I don't have to worry about drilling and rigging it with JB Weld. If I break one I'll just go buy some new studs, or bolts as you mentioned.

I just hope that the 3 nuts on the connection that goes over the rear axle (Muffler pipe and ... "downpipe" ?? connnetion) go easier than the 2 cat ones. They didn't look nearly as rusted as the cat ones, but they're in an awkward position ya know? lol

Tomorrow or Saturday I'm going to buy a new gasket for the cat / centerpipe connection ... I'm pure sure after seeing all that rust down there the stock one is most likely shot. I'm going to get some penetrating oil too. I've been told by some people on this thread it works great as well as a friend whose dad is a mechanic.

On another note, my dad was wondering about something ... since we've both never delt with exhausts before... I noticed on the stock exhaust where it's on the hangers that there's a pretty short bolt and right after it goes through there's a nut holding it on.. or it might be a straight bolt onto a bracket or something.. either way.. its short and just long enough to make it thru the hanger... On the GReddy exhaust there are just these really long arms... I'm guessing they're so long they don't need any sort of nut to hold them on.. since they don't have threads anyways....... am I correct about this?

Old 01-05-2006, 11:32 AM

wow...who would have ever thought that a simple installing of a new exhaust would get 75 replies

Old 01-05-2006, 01:13 PM

It must be my charming attitude and good looks. lol, no... it's because, being the noob that I am, I don't know how to do this install.... so it's not so simple for me

Old 01-05-2006, 04:58 PM

all the better so tehy are shanked studs ya that shouldnt be too much of a hassel if one is broken and if the place that installed the exhaust broke it do you think tehy would fix it for free hell no they would tack on another 1.5-2.5 hrs of labor to fix it now the install price had gone up 2X the original bid and whos to say they will just say hey we need a new cat yours is junk and the studs broke that will be $150 and labor this is where a shop will nail ya on a install my uncle ran a shop that did all that **** and they will tack as much **** on ya as they can by the time u walk outa there u will have new exhaust new ball joints and a 4 wheel alighnment lol.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:23 PM

hahahah, yeah, I'm keeping my car out of a shop as long as possible.

My dad has a 95 chevy blazer right.. brings it to this 1 man mechanic shop... everytime that vehicle rolls out it has another problem.. he's brought it back at least 6 times for different problems... I kept telling him the dude would knock something loose so he'd have to bring it back to him a few days later... dad finally figured it out and is now trying to fix the thing himself.. its not going well... dunno why he doesn't just bring it to another shop, lol......nah, they'll just do the same thing.... I hate mechanics more than I do lawyers and doctors... they're all on the same hate list for me (if anyone here is a mechanic (hahahah) or lawyer (nah) or doctor (maybe) .. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. I've never met a mechanic who was a good person.....I guess they're hard to find down here in south alabama..)

But yeah, I'm getting that exhaust on by myself... or me and a friend.. but without a shop damn it! ........

ok, I'm done ranting.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hey now I resemble that remark.... LOL actually I worked at a shop that did that shyt... I quit though because of it. But yes you are correct the things will slide into the holes where the bolts were previously. No bolts necessary and no nuts either... LOL

Quick Reply: Installing new exhaust