2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Intercooler application

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Default Intercooler application

Hey guys

I wasn't able to find an answer in the faq, and I was wondering if anyone here has an answer to my question.

Are there any aftermarket front mount intercoolers with piping kits that don't require the removal of the front rebar? I recently damaged the front end of my car where the stock intercooler is, and the OEM intercooler costs way too much to replace, so I bought an OBX intercooler off ebay. I brought it in to the shop, where they told me it was illegal to install that intercooler since the piping requires the removal of the rebar and they could be liable if I got into an accident. I called around a few shops in town and some have quoted me a Greddy 18v (not sure which one that is) intercooler might be a good fit and not require the removal of the rebar. I'm definitely not mechanically inclined so DIY is out of the question. Does anyone know if the Greddy intercooler fits or of any other brand? Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned
Default RE: Intercooler application

eBay is NOT a performance parts store and OBX is a ****ty knock off brand that uses ****ty materials and just sucks in general.

I have never heard of one needing anything more than bumper trimming and relocating of the powersteering line.

Go to www.slowboyracing.com and get a decent one : )

Old 10-29-2007, 02:59 PM

greddy is over priced and over rated when it comes to their inercoolers. i have never heard of their piping fitting on the first try. i'd go buschar on the intercooler, you can't beat the quality and they won't make you remove anything. but the OBX one shouldn't make you remove anything either... you said the directions told you to remove something for the piping? why don't you just get another set of piping? instead of a whole other intercoooler

Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

There is however ONE company that is sold on ebay that makes awesome intercoolers. They usually have their pictures with their stuff on a red sheet and black powder coated piping. You know what one im talkin about right?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM

can you show me which one you are talking about?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

Sorry, i apologize for that. I was unable to get to eBay to provide a link.

Here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2G-DS...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-30-2007, 03:50 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. I wish I knew about that ebay link beforehand, but now I'm stuck with OBX, since I have no way to off this thing to someone else. I was told it was possible to get away with trimming the rebar, so I'm just gonna do that. I called around a few local shops and most have told me anything I buy will most likely require some trimming or the complete removal of the rebar due to specific/racing applications. If thats the case I probably shouldn't shell out anymore money to get another intercooler, right?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Banned

Yeah i would get a different one